Audio out of sync after converting .AVI file to DVD

jameister

Registered
Seem to have a problem with a particular .avi file. I'm using VisualHub and when converting an .avi file to dvd the audio is out of sync. avi file works fine on mac in quicktime but when it gets burnt to dvd so I can watch it on tv that's where the problem lies.

Other avi files I have burnt to dvd have been fine so why this particular one?

would anyone know the work around for this?

Spec :
Mac G5 PPC Duel 2ghz 4gb ram

any help would be much appreciated

thanks guys

Thanks for this bit of info, but have lready checked all those things. It seems to be when the .avi file is encoding to DVD where the problem lies. Even when converting to .mov file and encoding.

Have tried with VisualHub and ffmpeg, and (dare I say it!) Toast 9. Maybe it's this dodgy .avi file....hmmmm.... does anyone have an answer please?

Thanks

Its a get out but if you use the thousand times blessed VLC for playback you can correct audio delay using the f and g keys in 50ms increments.

Another option might be to use a different audio codec in ffmpegx perhaps. Or the full on solution, get it into iMovie/FCP then iDVD/DVDSP and master it properly.

Oh and on the question of a bad avi then does it play happily in movie player programs like qt/vlc/mplayer?

Its a get out but if you use the thousand times blessed VLC for playback you can correct audio delay using the f and g keys in 50ms increments.

Another option might be to use a different audio codec in ffmpegx perhaps. Or the full on solution, get it into iMovie/FCP then iDVD/DVDSP and master it properly.

Oh and on the question of a bad avi then does it play happily in movie player programs like qt/vlc/mplayer?
ok, maybe it's best to do all this in FCP like you say instead of all these micky mouse toys I keep using! Although the only reason I use VisualHub, ffmpeg, toast etc is for ease/simplicity of use and how quick you can get the job done. Of course if I have to then I will use FCP.

And yes the .avi file plays perfectly fine in qt/vlc/mplayer with no audio sync issues, from what I can see when it loses sync is about 5min into the film and this is after being encoded to DVD as image but playing as .avi no problem, strange? corrupted file? Or could this be when the file is being compressed whilst encoding?

Thanks Ora, for your advise much appreciated :)

ok, maybe it's best to do all this in FCP like you say instead of all these micky mouse toys I keep using! Although the only reason I use VisualHub, ffmpeg, toast etc is for ease/simplicity of use and how quick you can get the job done. Of course if I have to then I will use FCP.

And yes the .avi file plays perfectly fine in qt/vlc/mplayer with no audio sync issues, from what I can see when it loses sync is about 5min into the film and this is after being encoded to DVD as image but playing as .avi no problem, strange? corrupted file? Or could this be when the file is being compressed whilst encoding?

Thanks Ora, for your advise much appreciated :)
Well just to let you know I fixed it by getting another .avi file of same film. This worked fine playing in qt,vlc etc, then encoding to DVD worked too. Think this proves that not all files downloaded .avi etc, can be 100%, depending on the source. Alternative, go and buy a genuine DVD!

sorry to bump but i have been having this exact same problem. when converting the .avi to dvd or .mkv to dvd and burning the audio is out of sync. the file plays fine on my mac. is there any solution to fixing this? it happens with many files.

What's the spec of your machine? What app do you use to convert files? I struggled with this out of sync issue on a few .avi files but generally (now) convertion seems ok. My advise is to use a good known app. Even though I said in the past that Visual Hub and some others are micky mouse it does tend to work very well for me and so easy to use. Unless of course you have FCP Studio.

Use Visual Hub ;-)

I do use VisualHub. I am wondering if it might be my DVD player...one part of the movie becomes out of sync on my DVD player plays perfect on a better one. Also, when I rewind the audio becomes back in sync.

it could be the file corrupted. What's it like when you play a normal dvd (Brought from a shop, these are properly mastered) , if that works fine then it could be during the conversion process. Has it just started doing this or always? Again, what spec is your machine?

It seems like it just started doing this. But then I tried a DVD I made a long time ago and that one went out of sync too. I have an iMac G5 2 gb Memory.

The quickTime plugin Perian has been known to cause iDVD problem. Try removing that plugin to see if it helps.

Back