August 7 predictions

Now that Apple seems to have confirmed the August 7 event, let the predictions begin!

The new brushed metal iMac seems a safe bet at this point.

I'm crossing all my fingers that they will upgrade the Mac Mini. I am trying to put together a home theatre setup with a mini but am waiting for the next update. If they don't update the mini on tuesday, I think it is a strong indication it is soon to be killed off :(

Anyone else have some predictions? iLife maybe?

I expect a complete rework of the Mac product line, an updated strategy.

So are you going to be able to watch it or do you have to wait for it to be over for to see whats comin.

The mini is dead. I believe they will make that official tomorrow.

The new iMacs (super thin being the theme) will arrive with a look that is similar to the current line (but a lot thinner and with new subtle changes like rounded corners, speakers on the front where they're supposed to be and multiple color options).

There will be no mention of the Pro line.

The new iMacs (super thin being the theme) will arrive ...

I'd see that as the most probable event. The iMacs are well and truly due for a new generational design. Apple tends to introduce mainstream, high-volume, flagship products at events like this and save the Pro product lines for trade events.

I would expect the new generation of iMac to be a lot thinner, neater, sexier and with larger and brighter screens. I wouldn't anticipate different case colours (an expensive luxury, in terms of production costs, with little benefit to users). I also wouldn't anticipate performance or features that are much above what we have now - the iMac is still, at the end of the day, meant to be affordable. Features that don't cost much to implement, and don't add to the complexity of it, are quite likely to appear, such as the ambient light sensors from the Macbook & iPhone lines.

The first pull-apart and detailed study will show that Apple's design philosophy on this one is pitched at simplifying the hardware and making it quicker and easier to service; something they were really getting good at with the G5 iMac that they had to compromise on with the Intel transition (just compare the insides of a G5 iMac to an Intel iMac and you'll know what I mean).

So yeah, thats my prediction. Fairly conservative, I know, but I'd say its solid.

Either the iMac or the iPod. Maybe we'll be lucky and get both. :D

no one thinking touch screen iMac? I know it is a popular rumor.

I think not. It makes sense for iPhone, or even for a portable device such as iPod, but for Macs its not really likely to be an effective interface option.

...along with iLife '07 demo...

That is a pretty real possibility, though I doubt Apple would host a whole press event day just for iLife. It might well sneak in there, though.

I know it is not going to happen but would be nice to see Mac Book update. New led Screens and a real video card.

I agree, iMac is due an upgrade. If the mini is discontinued, I would predict a lower price & spec model iMac to fill the lower end of the market - surely Apple would be foolish to ignore this sector??

Also, the current iPod models could be updated to match the style of the nano. They've looked that way for almost 2 years, in which time the nano has been introduced and updated.

Also, apparently, people who subscribe to .mac will not be able to use it due to maintenance occurring at the exact same time as the conference.

Hmm. Hurry up time....

I know it is not going to happen but would be nice to see Mac Book update. New led Screens and a real video card.

I'd say forget about the "real video card" in the consumer notebook. The integrated thing works perfectly. See, if Apple were to implement last year's mid-level graphics or this year's lowend chip, the comments would remain the same: Underpowered graphics. They have to have some differences between the pro and the consumer line. And the graphics card is one thing where they can actually save money, which leads to those great prices for the gorgeous consumer MacBooks.
Everytime I say these things, someone says they could at least have an _optional_ highend graphics chip. But that'd mean more than just popping a chip in. It'd mean R&D costs. It'd mean price gap.

I don't see what the big deal is with just buying a dedicated desktop machine. How often would you honestly enjoy a high-quality game on a 13.3" screen on your lap without a mouse? It's a compact, good looking, consumer laptop.

Also, Intel's integrated graphics keep getting better. Might as well have current-lowend graphics instead of old-midrange graphics.

(The "dedicated desktop machine" is a bit of a problem with Apple. Decent desktops start with the Mac Pro. No other Mac allows you to tinker with the graphics card. Which is a bit sad, I think.)

Apple always marketed iLife with the Mac as your possibility for a "digital life". iLife, iLife 04, 05 and 06 were always released in January and worked well. I wonder why they completely ignored consumer software this year - what did the software dept do all year????
I think they'll kill the Mac mini off - it's too expensive for such a little machine.
And it doesn't even have a screen!!
You got to admit, that Apple is really expensive. A little computer for $599 without keyboard, mouse, screen or any other device. For $599 you can get a PC with 20" display plus extras, from proper companies like Dell, Sony etc.
Also, the iMac will be really thin and maybe in brushed metal, as said before by TTC. iWork will come with a spreadsheet app and I hope a new keynote and pages version too, with new templates and designs.

The New iMac looks nice, but the glossy-only display is a bad move (or clever guise to force pros onto MacPro machines).

Back