Auto connect to wireless network from sleep

stv1701

Registered
I've just enabled WEP on my wireless router (D-link). Now when I wake my powerbook from sleep I have to select the network from the airport icon in the menu bar in order to connect again. Before I had the WEP enabled it used to connect automatically. Is there a way automatically connect to my network when I wake my powerbook from sleep with WEP enabled?

Cheers

I've had a similar annoyance (I personally believe it to be a bug in the AirPort software).

Is your D-Link WiFi network in the "Connect automatically to..." field in Network Preferences ? If not, add it, along with your credentials, and make sure you save your password to the keychain.

I think I am having the same problem, except I haven't tried to put my wife's new iMac G5 that I got her for Christmas(!) to sleep - I have restarted a few times and it doesn't connect automatically.

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and here are its settings:
Security Mode: WEP
Default Transmit Key: 1 (with options of 1, 2, 3 or 4)
WEP Encryption: 128 bits 26 hex digits
Passphrase: <a password>
Key 1: <big long string of numbers and letters>
Key 2: <big long string of numbers and letters>
Key 3: <big long string of numbers and letters>
Key 4: <big long string of numbers and letters>

When I try to connect to the router using the passphrase, it fails. I can only connect through the Internet Connect app when it prompts me for a WEP key. I enter it in, and boom, I'm on the network.

BUT, when I go to my System Prefs and try to join a specific network, I don't have the option of entering in a WEP key; I can only do a password, which doesn't work...

Here's another question... why does the Internet Connect application exist? All that functionality should be in the Network preference pane.

Hmm, I was digging around Apple's support site and came across this link describing how to connect to an encrypted network, but it doesn't address the issue we're having.

And I did try putting the iMac to sleep and waking it up - it did not reconnect - same problem we're all having. :(

MDLarson said:
When I try to connect to the router using the passphrase, it fails. I can only connect through the Internet Connect app when it prompts me for a WEP key.

If you're using a HEX wep password, you need to type "0x" before it in the password box. (i.e. 0x3b09148a...) ;)

WinWord10 said:
If you're using a HEX wep password, you need to type "0x" before it in the password box. (i.e. 0x3b09148a...) ;)
Hey, that works! Nice tip - how the heck did you come across that?!?

p.s. The quote in my signature is better! ;)

I came across this page in the AirPort Extreme Card User's Guide:

Joining a 128-Bit Encrypted Wireless Network

If you want to join a third-party wireless network that requires 128-bit encryption, you have two options for entering a password, depending on the password scheme the network's administrator has setup.

If you were given a password that is 13 characters, you may need to use double quotation marks before and after the password. Thirteen-character passwords are usually case sensitive.

Example: "password12345"

If you were given a password that is 26 characters, you may need to put a dollar sign ($) before the password.

Example: $12345678901234567890abcdef

If you need additional information on your 128-bit password, contact your network administrator.

MDLarson said:
Hey, that works! Nice tip - how the heck did you come across that?!?

p.s. The quote in my signature is better! ;)

Because hexadecimal numbers always start with 0x. The dialog boxes that have the drop down option for hex just hide it from you.

Back