"Auto scroll" with USB mouse?

dalo

Registered
Hey folks.

I have a Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 (USB) connected to the keyboard of my PowerMac G4 (standard greyish keyboard), and I have a question. Isn't there a way to "auto scroll" in Safari (and other apps), meaning just pressing the /button/ that the scroll wheel actually is, and then move in directions with no button pressed at all?

I also had the same problem. To make use of the scroll wheel as a third button, I mapped it to Expose's F9 function. Now, whenever I click the scroll wheel, I get thumbnails of my open windows. Pretty neat.

pran said:
I also had the same problem. To make use of the scroll wheel as a third button, I mapped it to Expose's F9 function. Now, whenever I click the scroll wheel, I get thumbnails of my open windows. Pretty neat.

So, theres no more "conventional" way of managing/mapping the buttons on a mouse, in OSX Tiger?

While there's no mention of auto-scroll functionality, USBOverdrive is an easy way to map buttons under OS X:

http://usboverdrive.com/

Before installing, remove any 3rd party drivers (Microsoft mouse softare and drivers/kernel extensions) you may have installed, as they'll conflict.

While there's no mention of auto-scroll functionality, USBOverdrive is an easy way to map buttons under OS X:

http://usboverdrive.com/

Before installing, remove any 3rd party drivers (Microsoft mouse softare and drivers/kernel extensions) you may have installed, as they'll conflict.

Or should I just get myself a bluetooth Mighty Mouse? I have a PowerBook 17" now. ;-)

USB Overdrive does indeed have an autoscroll feature. I recommend USB Overdrive no matter what kind of mouse you use.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Mighty Mouse, but if you like it, go wild. But it'll be no easier to get autoscrolling on that than on your MS mouse.

USB Overdrive does indeed have an autoscroll feature. I recommend USB Overdrive no matter what kind of mouse you use.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Mighty Mouse, but if you like it, go wild. But it'll be no easier to get autoscrolling on that than on your MS mouse.

No, of course not. But I kind of think I can live with the lack of autoscroll given the other things about the MM that I do get.

(Thread was revived, so dalo's requirements in a mouse might have changed since a year has passed.) ;)

Back