Automatic backup to server?

vp911

Registered
If I have a shared folder on a Windows server, what is the best way to automatically backup to that folder? (i.e. music, docs, etc.)

The "best" way is whatever works best for you and your situation. As you probably know, there are a billion-and-a-half different backup programs in existence. If there was one, single, "best" way, this wouldn't be the case. Different backup strategies work for different people in different situations.

Do you want compressed backups? Bootable backups? Incremental backups?

You may want to have a look at Chronosync (available with a simple Google search). It can be scheduled and has options to perform different kinds of backups and syncs.

If you can describe your situation and needs in greater detail, we may be able to narrow down your options to something that will work "best" for you.

Incremental backups would be best; however, other than that I don't care. I don't need them compressed or bootable. It is simply to replicate the data to another system in the event of a system failure.

Time machine doesn't seem to be able to backup to a remote server else I would use that.

Incremental backups would be best; however, other than that I don't care. I don't need them compressed or bootable. It is simply to replicate the data to another system in the event of a system failure.
Chronosync does this -- not so much "back up" but more of a "sync." Whatever is on your hard drive (or in the folders you specify in Chronosync) will be replicated to the Windows share. If you delete a file from your hard drive, then that file will be deleted in the backup. If you add a new file, that file will be replicated in the backup. You can also configure it to move deleted items to a new folder, instead of deleting them.

Time machine doesn't seem to be able to backup to a remote server else I would use that.
It does have that ability, just not to a Windows share on a Windows box.

Back