Automator: Suitable for time-of-day URL Filtering?

CJV

Registered
I am a complete Automator newb and have only been using a Mac for about a year. I've done some searches on the web and on this forum and have read through parts of the Automator help file but have not found an answer, so here goes:

I am wondering if it's possible to use Automator to selectively filter URLs based on time of day or some other variable that can be set via a dialog.

The motivation for this is that after a certain time of day, or under certain conditions, I don't want my kids to waste time on certain websites. Think of this as 'do your homework before going out to play' except they're not going out to play, they are sitting around doing stuff with their friends on collaborative creation websites, and sometimes, as kids will do, they do it when they're not supposed to.

So the feature could be invoked on a scheduled basis or under some parental control. I know, sounds draconian, but there you go.

Thanks in advance.
CJV

Kids will be able to stop that in a heart beat. What you do is to play with the DNS setting and that is easy. Just start using the free OpenDNS.com (they have an instructional video) and setup a free account. You will be amazed on how without any software on you Mac or PC you can block, control so much. Plus kids are almost clueless about DNS nd never will suspect anything.

Back