autostart terminal app on login

neo36

UAAAARRRR!
i recently downloaded a nice application which gives me some statistics on network traffic. is there a way to auto-launch this application when i boot my mac.

the application, it's called darkstat, has to be started as root, using sudo, or su.

ps: i'm really pleased with this app, but if anybody knows other good utilities which do the same thing, please feel free to tell me!

thanks for any help!

Make a shell script that does what you want, add ".command" to the script name, make it executable with chmod, add it to your login items.

hmm, shell scripting... i don't have much experience with that. can you give me a sample? most important, how do i enter superuser mode automatically? i'm being asked for a password when i do that manually? is it possible to automate this?

Check man sudoers , in the sudoers file you can specify users that can sudo without password.

I have read about some problems with non existing man-files after upgrading to 10.2 , do a search in the forums and see if there is a solution. The man page should be there. do you get any man pages at all?

Code:
[gwailo:]% cat /etc/sudoers
# sudoers file.
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the sudoers man page for the details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
%admin  ALL=(ALL) ALL

I attached the manpage as well.
There ya go :)

Attachments

• sudoers_manpage.txt
    48.5 KB · Views: 9
I'm probably too late on this, but do you know that you can make a .term profile which will be the size and color you want for this app, plus you can make the .term launch a command upon opening?

hazmat:

I am not sure what you are asking. The terminal window can be modified by selecting Terminal/Window Settings from the menu. A .term file can be launched upon starting terminal by selecting Terminal\Preferences and filling in the appropriate path.

Is this what you wanted?

-iGuy

Originally posted by iGuy
hazmat:

I am not sure what you are asking. The terminal window can be modified by selecting Terminal/Window Settings from the menu. A .term file can be launched upon starting terminal by selecting Terminal\Preferences and filling in the appropriate path.

Is this what you wanted?

Actually, I was answering the question with a question. :)

Back