Back to my Mac

Have you tried setting up your network similar to mine?
No. Let me give a brief history. In the late 90s my LAN was created for me - a few machines behind a Cisco router talking to a T1. The "master" machine was a Sun workstation running Solaris and configured using "flat" files - /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, ... There was nothing dynamic about it, not even DHCP. That's the origin of all my sysadmin knowledge, such as it is.

In 2005, my employer disappeared and took the T1 and the Sun. I got Wildblue and used a Mac for the "master", configuring things the only way I knew how. It worked but was kind of clunky, especially as new (to me) technology came along - Bonjour for example. When I learned of DNSenabler, I jumped on it, since it managed a lot of the details in one GUI.

Except for a few minor details, that's where I am now. So, here's the first of perhaps many dumb questions. If I configure my LAN like yours, how does machine ABC know how to talk to XYZ on my internal network? That is, without my manual labor in assigning static internal addresses in my DNS server.

Have you tried setting up your network similar to mine? Just a modem to a router, and all computers accessing the router (either via wired or wireless connections)?

How do you configure a typical machine on your LAN? If it receives everything by DHCP, what do you insert in your router regarding port forwarding? Say for SSH.

You said you use DynDNS. Do you use the free service or the "custom" service for a fee. If the latter, what have you added, if anything, to the standard configuration?

I use "static dynamic IP" -- my router lets me reserve IPs in the DHCP range for machines that connect with a certain MAC address, so they always have the same internal IP.

Of course, I could just turn off DHCP on the router altogether and go the static route.

I use the free DynDNS service.

I tried an experiment that failed. I reconfigured one Mac to use static IP and keyed in all the values manually, remembering to click APPLY. For DNS I entered the internal IP of the router. On the router I disabled DHCP and rebooted. Basic connectivity was OK - surfing, etc.

When I turned on BTMM, I get the same double-NAT message.

Same result when I told it to use the router's external address for DNS. Recall that Verizon (Fairpoint) gave me 192.168.1.47 for the router's external address. Does this imply that the multiple NAT situation is their network structure?

Were you able to fix this issue? I am running into the same exact problem with my modem and time capsule. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dustin

No, I haven't solved it. Last Fall I "bridged" my modem, eliminating the software layer at my DSL provider. That eliminated the double-NAT and solved a few other minor issues. I haven't revisited BTMM due to lack of time. By the way, LogMeIn works fine.

Back