Backup 2 Questons

The Ghost

In the Machine
I recently began using Backup 2 (.02) (neat program) to backup jillions of things from my internal to an external firewire. I have a few questions and am hoping that those who have had experience with Backup 2 can help.

1. No matter how creative I get, I can't liberate an individual file or folder from the backup file stored on my external. Is doing so possible? How?

2. To liberate files/folders, I have gone to the extreme of trying to retore all my backed up files/folders to another partition on my external--one with no system installed. OK, I can't do that either. Can it be done? How? I also can't restore all to another partition with a clone of my internal on it--not that I want to do so.

3. It appears that the only way to liberate the files/folders is to restore them to my internal. But, what happens, for example, if my internal dies and I have to reinstall my system? Please ignore the fact that this really would not be a problem since I have clones of my system and backups of my files here, there, and everywhere. Anyway, would backup 2 allow me to restore my files/folders to a completely new internal/system install?

Well to be completely honest with you, I am not really sure where your problem lies

I use Backup 2 all the time in synchronus with my iDisk and I can always go straight to my iDisk and pull the individual file to my desktop

Are you using Backup 2 from Apple or are you using a different program?

Backup 2 backs up differently depending on whether you're backing up to an iDisk or backing up to a hard drive/CD.

It seems to me that the only way to restore is to restore back to the internal, but this shouldn't be the case -- I'll dig around and see if I can find something.

Back