backup of snow leopard retail not working firewire

macattack600

Registered
so a long time ago I made a backup of my snow leopard install dvd just in case I lost it. Well I lost it and need it I tried using another macbook which has the file on the HD hooked up a macbook pro firewire target disk mode and tried to install the .dmg but said I have to do it by the DVD is there a way around this I thought i've seen before somewhere where you can manipulate in terminal the install package. Oh I also don't have my external drive so that's not a option the superdrive is also not working.

Last edited:
You would need to install OS X from a bootable DVD, or a bootable partition.
If the file is a .dmg, then you can "restore" that disk image to another partition on your hard drive, or, better yet, buy an 8GB USB flash drive (those are less then $10 now), and use your Disk Utility to erase that flash drive, making sure the partition is GUID, then format as a Mac OS Extended format. When done with that, click on the Restore tab, then drag your Snow Leopard .DMG to the Source block, and drag the flash drive to the destination block, and then finally click the Restore button. Just a few minutes to complete, and you'll be able to boot to that flash drive to reinstall Snow Leopard. That's assuming the disk image that you have is actually a complete image of the original disk.

It is a complete image actually what I did I don't know what I was thinking but I used 10gb and restored the .dmg to it and reformat the other part and it's installing now. I'll go back in and erase the install dvd .dmg thanks for the info on the flash drive too.

Back