bad attitude...

octane

I have issues, OK!
I'm starting to see something develop in this forum that has disheartened me somewhat.

Rather than a congenial, lively and productive thread of conversation, I'm seeing certain individuals highjack these threads for purposes either known only to themselves or for self-masturbatory endeavors which often include ego and technical prowess.

We all do it from time to time, but I'd prefer to learn something from others and in turn inform others rather than be embroiled in petulant napalm-soaked electronic name-calling.

Frankly I find it depressing...

Can't second that. I've been posting in many forums and this forum (might be because it's the first mac forum) is the most -let me call it- adult one. Not that the average age is quite high (there was a thread on this and it was very surprising), but most of the ppl -to be honest; can't recall any exception- are here to help, find help and learn. I am very satisfied.

Arden said:
Got any examples before you start slinging mud?

Strangely -- and ironically -- you become such an example with your post.

Am I slinging mud? Would it be fair to start pointing out people?

I didn't post here to start name-calling, I'm asking for cessation in antagonistic posting.

Like I said, we all do it from time to time and I don't think it helps anyone...

we have rules here about certain kinds of posting behaviors. being antagonistic and belittling other members are definitly against them. taking a thread in a tangential direction is not. if you find a specific post (or set of posts) that violates our rules, please report it to a moderator. if someone is simply taking a thread in a direction that agravates you, then suck it up and move on to the next thread. we are not all going to agree. we're not all going to like each other. but that doesn't mean that anyone's voice is less important than anybody else's. as long as posts remain within our rules, they are going to be allowed - on topic or off. that being said, we will eventually take action against anyone who seems to be endlessly posting just to stir things up or just to hear themselves talk.

and while arden is an example of many things, his post in this thread is very straight forward and concrete - worthy of an answer and not an accusition.

Well the thing is, if I get drawn by someone, I can turn a thread into a bit of circus!

So I tend to make a bad situation a lot worse once someone gets on the wrong side of me. Which I'd like to think I'd grown out of .. but haven't, unfortunately.

I never start anything, I just make sure I finish it :rolleyes:

[damn! This brain of mine is becoming immune to those therapeutic drugs...]

Like I said, got any examples? I've read a number of threads where you and Fryke simply tear into each other, and I would say you've been getting a little on the irrational side in general in these posts... but this seems to be in the vein of heated discussion, and if anything you yourself are guilty of spreading napalm. Okay, maybe not "guilty" as such, but you get the drift, right?

Frankly, I think this board needs more heated discussion as such, rather than all the pandering and agreement. I've spoken to a number of members who have left or want to leave because they think this site is turning too "sterile." I mean, when was the last time you saw a thread get closed for something besides posting an existing topic? :)

Arden said:
Like I said, got any examples? I've read a number of threads where you and Fryke simply tear into each other, and I would say you've been getting a little on the irrational side in general in these posts... but this seems to be in the vein of heated discussion, and if anything you yourself are guilty of spreading napalm. Okay, maybe not "guilty" as such, but you get the drift, right?

I've got to disagree vehemently.

I would not have done what you just have. The disagreement between myself and Fryke is -- as far as I'm concerned -- resolved.

I simply would not be prepared to have named him in such a way. I consider that to be very disrespectful. Whether he feels that way or not, I simply wouldn't have done that.

No, I was not being irrational. I consider myself to incredibly logical and my assertion in that thread was as sound then as it is now. I can only imagine that you share his taste in technical minutia.

And before anyone reads into that, it was not intended as a sleight against you, Arden! I'd advise you to read the thread again: OS X is by default more secure than Windows.

Arden said:
Frankly, I think this board needs more heated discussion as such, rather than all the pandering and agreement.

And I strongly agree!

What I don't like is when I get people hectoring me without first even bothering to acquaint themselves with the simple facts. That annoys me no end.

Arden said:
I've spoken to a number of members who have left or want to leave because they think this site is turning too "sterile." I mean, when was the last time you saw a thread get closed for something besides posting an existing topic? :)

Well we clearly have very different agendas then, don't we?

I don't come here to indulge in the modern-day equivalent of the public execution or to listen to people lambast others.

I like to post questions and get rational, reasonable answers, which is exactly what I've had so far. This is great for me, it's like having the biggest customer support contract on earth .. for free!

By way of repayment, I try to help out whenever / wherever I can. I also like to post news stories so that people who don't have time to trawl the internet can see what's going on. Sometimes I might drop in my own opinion [the last occurrence of which turned into a bit of debacle].

The point of this thread is NOT to point an accusatory finger of blame. I'd like people to read what I've said and just 'suck it up' as edX put it, before jumping in feet-first...

The point of this thread is NOT to point an accusatory finger of blame. I'd like people to read what I've said and just 'suck it up' as edX put it, before jumping in feet-first...
This thread wouldn't exist if that were the case.
If you feel someone has crossed the line, notify a mod. Or send a PM. Sometimes explaining things that way can let a hot-head cool off.

Randman said:
This thread wouldn't exist if that were the case. If you feel someone has crossed the line, notify a mod. Or send a PM. Sometimes explaining things that way can let a hot-head cool off.

Well, that's right, but I don't want to descend into what I consider schoolyard tittle-tattling.

I'm far more likely to be the even hand of mediation than the smiting fist of anger.

But when the blood is up .. wow betide that hapless poster flapping the red flag :mad: :D

But when the blood is up .. wow betide that hapless poster flapping the red flag
As long as you remember that others may see you flapping the red flag haplessly when their dander is up as well. :confused: ;) ::angel::

Sometimes the ignore user feature can be nice. When there are certain people who always irritate .. just drag them to your ignore list. :)

Of course sometimes discussing some things directly with the person irritating can help too. (and don't hesitate to ask the mods to keep the peace).

Giaguara said:
Sometimes the ignore user feature can be nice. When there are certain people who always irritate .. just drag them to your ignore list. :)

I've thought about that before, but I'm not sure how it works.

If I was to ignore user_a [if there is someone called user_a, please accept my apologies!] and he / she posted into a thread, does that mean that all of their posts are locked out of the thread when I view it?

I'd prefer not to do that. If I learned anything from life, even a fool can have something wise to say .. even if they don't know it!..

Octane, I like your posts in this thread (not meaning I don't like any other posts of yours in other threads). You seem to be very thoughtful about many things which is very nice and wise. However, I don't think the behaviour of some individuals here is such a big issue for you as you make it look like. It wouldn't fit to your nice and wise words. Does this thread maybe come out of the joy to discuss something controversial? Or is it - how you said similarly - your way of "self-masturbation"? Forgive me for the seemingly very aggressive last sentence. I just wanted to use your own words. The fact is that you are a very eloquent person and in this thread you seem (to me) to try to show it... I hope you didn't feel attacked by this. If so, forgive my wrong choice of words. I am from germany and don't know english that well.

Zammy-Sam said:
Octane, I like your posts in this thread (not meaning I don't like any other posts of yours in other threads). You seem to be very thoughtful about many things which is very nice and wise. However, I don't think the behaviour of some individuals here is such a big issue for you as you make it look like. It wouldn't fit to your nice and wise words. Does this thread maybe come out of the joy to discuss something controversial? Or is it - how you said similarly - your way of "self-masturbation"? Forgive me for the seemingly very aggressive last sentence. I just wanted to use your own words. The fact is that you are a very eloquent person and in this thread you seem (to me) to try to show it... I hope you didn't feel attacked by this. If so, forgive my wrong choice of words. I am from germany and don't know english that well.

No, I'm not offended at all!

Flattery is always welcome :)

Do you know how long I sat and agonized over the starter post? I knew that I might well be putting myself in harms way.

I have nothing to gain by bleating on about the odd run in, and I'd prefer to not draw negative looks from other members.

I have to stress, the run-ins that I do have are not reflective of the vast audience this forum has.

There were about three or four instances where I got shit kicked in my face without any provocation. :mad:

I think half of the problems come out of the total lack of emotive context with things like email and forums. The smilies help a little, but a brusque tone can easily slip through.

As for the big words, what can I say; I'm a big guy ;)

If I'm feeling a little full of myself, I wander over to Flame Warriors and remind myself of how NOT to be...

:) .. I think compared to many other mac (rumor etc) forums there isn't much of argueing here. .. some threads and topics DO need different views too - like rumors or ideas. If everyone thinks exactly the same way, can anyone learn anything or think anything on a new way?

octane, the ignore user thing does not lock a persons post. you see "the yourignored person posted in this thread. if you want to read the post, click here" or soemthing similar. so if the post seems relevant, you can always read it. i admit, i do use that feature in some boards that i don't visit very often - i will not use it here ;). maybe to choose to not ignore is some more mature..

octane said:
Well, that's right, but I don't want to descend into what I consider schoolyard tittle-tattling.

School yard tattling is when you report minor stuff like - "teacher, his shoes are not tied." When you report to a moderator it is to alert the moderator to some one breaking a forum rule.

I can only assume that it (a rule was broken/some one flamed) happened because you started this thread. If it was serious enough to start this thread, then it should have been reported to the moderator of that forum.

enough said :rolleyes:

to report a post, click on the button with the exclamation mark in the lower left hand corner of the post you wish to report. all the moderators of that forum will receive a copy of it.

Cheryl said:
If it was serious enough to start this thread, then it should have been reported to the moderator of that forum.

enough said :rolleyes:

It wasn't, it was a gradual accretion of scathing remarks and weird comments that just flicked the switch in my head, marked: 'getting angry now!'

Problem solved. I'll use my rapier-like wit to impale the flamers and baiters on the forum... :D

Back