Bad man, very bad man...

uoba said:
Some Winblows Long-hornblower ex-spurt is putting Panther down...

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/longhorn.asp

Apparently, Panther is way of the mark compared to what Longhorn will do... er, I don't think I'll be using Panther in 2006 :p

I honestly feel sorry for MS's LongHorn and it's long road ahead.
Panther is a fast cat to catch and will be beyond LH in 2006.

I know so many people especially where I work where they make comments knocking OS X day after day after day (like they would even know a real os if it bit them) they are all window users (insert trumpet here) some days it's very annoying... I have learned to ignore them and know that they are the blind leading the blind...
:D

Let's see what the comparison looks like when they actually compare the OS X of 2006 with the Longhorn of 2006.

Right now, comparing Longhorn to Panther is like comparing Panther to Windows 98.

Hey, that's all the proof I need. Now that I read that article, I understand what my life is missing, and Microsoft will be able to deliver. This is exciting. Anybody want an iBook G4. I need to get out of this Mac universe. I didn't realize that XP was already ahead of Panther in terms of user interface.

What a joke. If he had access to Apple's alpha builds of Bobcat, Ocelot and, Lion then he might be able to make a comparison.

M$ is only leaking info about Longhorn because of the long delay in getting it out. They think that if enough pictures of it are posted on the internet, that people will subliminally feel that it's already out.

It's a game Apple's played before but need no longer participate in.

Paul Thourogh is a puppet of M$. He and his web site have been touting the wonders of the Windows OS for years. Always promising the best in the future and never delivering. No wonder they get along so well.

Heh....I've used that beta build of Longhorn...LoL. How are they even COMPARING it to OS X. The final product isn't going to change the way people use their PC. It will have a damn SIDEBAR...that's it....sidebar...you will have to choose your apps from the taskbar, and everything will work the same...though they apparantly want to use 100% of your GPU at all times to render all the insanely annoying affects that Longhorn will have, which of course is a wonderful thing..because I really want to use ALL my GPU power and cause wear and tear on it just to open a god damn word file....that makes tons of sense Bill....why not ship Longhorn with VR goggles instead..and i pick out my files like in the hackers movie, eh? How can that man even compare anything microsoft has out now with OS X and call it "superior"....Someone please email that idiot ;)

Oh yeah..and this brushed metal theme....doesn't look at all familiar.

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/longhorn_4051_061.jpg

Of course you're neglecting some of Longhorn's more innovative features, Total Konfuzion, that have been left out of this build (for various reasons). But yes, I agree that no-one should actually compare an alpha-build of an OS that _might_ come out in 2006 (they've revamped their roadmap sooooo many times now, they could also release it in 2005 or 2008...) with a released OS.
We're all quite sure that Apple will release 10.4 in 2004 and 10.5 in 2005 and 10.6 in 2006. Seeing the improvements from 10.0 to 10.3, I believe we can quite surely say that 10.5 will rock our worlds. Whether Longhorn will rock our worlds... Who knows? I mean: What milestones are there ahead for Longhorn? Is the feature-set set in stone? If so, how the heck could it take them another 3 years to complete the OS? Is it because a) they have so many good programmers or b) they want to release a 'final' version this time without the need of security updates or bugfixes or c) they just don't know where this path is going to lead them and they've chosen a random date far enough in the future for them to actually _do_ something?

Let's take another look at Longhorn when there's a public (or more public) beta. Or even better: Let's take a look at it when it's finished.

Yeah, I just watched the videos at Thurrott's site and he is clearly out of his tree. About the only thing that seems new and worthwhile is the new file system, although I'm sure that that will devolve into a UI nightmare in the proud M$ tradition.

Anyway, all the flashy graphics and transparencies are things I have been able to do on my lowly imac since 10.0. Who does Gates think he is kidding? Apple should put the OS X interface prominently in its advertisements for the next two years, just to show who's boss.

See, I'm sure that Longhorn will be nice and much improved over windows XP...i'm sure of that, and I'm sure it will be polished and finished. It will bootup faster, have very nice 3d affects such as shadowing and transparency and animations...but it will also need more ram, more cpu, at least a 32mb VGA card if not more and it won't be able to run well with all the "nice options" enabled on computers that came out in 2005 or 2004. That is how microsoft always operates in tride and true fashion. WinFS seems to be pretty impressive and some of the features will be very tempting for the windows XP user of today to upgrade to, but the point this guy is trying to make isn't at all stable...he can't possibly compare an unstable, alpha OS to Mac Os X 10.3...that comment should be deleted from his writeup, because nothing he has on that site proves his statement.

Yeah, there are a lot of things being "promised" to be in Longhorn, and possibly a lot of things that WILL be in Longhorn that we don't know about today. 2-3 years is a long time, it's a little pointless to speculate.

It is, however, a good idea for MS to be more vigilant.

My thoughts on the matter - if MS releases an OS as good as, say, Jaguar or Panther, then Apple will have their work cut out for them.

Today the OS gap is REALLY wide, which gives Apple a clear distinction and advantage over the MS platform. It's really what got me into the platform, I know, and really what anyone I know that has expressed interest in Macs has been interested in.

It's not just the features of the new OS - it's the fact that components of Windows just bug people on a day to day basis.

Now, if Microsoft is able to put out an OS that's about equal to Jaguar, let's say, and we have two (or maybe 3) more Jag->Panther equivalent improvement releases in the meantime, then I'd say that Microsoft will have closed the gap quite a bit - which makes the Mac platform that much less interesting as an alternative.

In my mind, all MS has to do is make Windows 80% as good as MacOS, and they'll see a lot of people switching back, because that 20% difference doesn't make up for the other disadvantages (or perceived disadvantages) of the Mac platform (and because of all the anti-competitive stuff that MS keeps getting away with).

I like to be optimistic, but it's probably also worth keeping in mind that Longhorn could essentially kill the Mac. It's mostly pointless to speculate at this point - in three years Apple might invent and patent a system that makes notebooks run for months between charges, and a meteor could level Redmond, WA. Speculating about these is probably just slightly less valuable as speculating about what will happen with Longhorn. And probably more fun =)

And for all we know Longhorn will be ultimately cool, but there will be a huge backlash against all the Digital Rights Management that will be in Longhorn and MS will screw up badly when they react to it, driving huge parts of the market away. (Of course history shows that 95% of today's users (maybe just americans) are completely lethargic about their computers... But don't try to take away their automatic weapons or 8 mile-per-gallon urban assault vehicles! No sir! (again, probably just the americans))

ROFL, 512MB RAM minimum, 1GB recommended! They must just load every part of the OS(all dlls & everything) into RAM on boot up.

Ugh, it's blinding to look at! You're going to need a 30 inch display with a huge resolution just to compensate for all the wasted space "Aero" takes up. And there's so much text! I don't know about anyone else, but one of the reasons I love Mac OS X is for it's clean and compact UI. "Configure My Speakers," "Configure My Microphone," "Manage My Audio Devices," blah blah blah. An icon with a text over is so much more elegeant and space saving!

Apple has implemented some basic desktop composition features in Mac OS X "Panther." But the basic problem with Mac OS X isn't going away: It's a classic desktop operating system that doesn't offer anything in the way of usability advancements over previous desktop operating systems. Today, Windows XP and its task-based interface are far superior to anything in Mac OS X. In the future, Longhorn will further distance Windows from OS X. From a graphical standpoint, there won't be any comparison. As Microsoft revealed at the PDC 2003 conference, Longhorn is far more impressive technically than Panther.
What a load of goat feces. What kind of advancements are Microsoft going to come up with that could be better than the current desktop system? I mean, it works quite well for you guys, doesn't it? It should work well for anyone when done right.

XP is better than OS X? According to whom, the PC junkies? Like they're going to be unbiased. (Like we are, for that matter. ;)) I mean, I really consider moving options to the left of your contents a big improvement! I really consider LSD-inspired colors a big improvement. I like the fact that Windows's interface is inconsistent from the desktop to even a Microsoft-branded program like Win MP. I don't think Exposé is very good at all, I mean come on, it completely revolutionizes the way you use your computer! There can't be any good in that.

Total Konfuzion said:
The final product isn't going to change the way people use their PC. It will have a damn SIDEBAR...that's it....sidebar....

Doesn't change the way people use their computers?!?!

Palladium
Subcription software licenses
invasive DRM that affects more than just music
one (or more) extra admins of your computer located in Redmond...

You can keep it!

Back