Band Logo

wdw_

Rockee
I'm designing a logo for my band. The band's name is Idiom. I'm not an insanely great graphic designer, but I through this together. Check the attached pic and tell me what you think.

Be kind.:(

:D:p

Attachments

• idiom.jpg
    idiom.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 216
wdw... how well would that reproduce 1/2" tall in newsprint or a photcopied flyer?

as a startup band, you should ask yourself questions like that in order to determine how good your logo is.

This may sound bitchy, but only because I'm slipping into pretentious art-crit mode :) Take it with a grain of salt...

I'm confused by the choice to use so many different fonts... the O's scale just seems odd, especially when it's the 'exception' to the rest of the letters... I would pick one typeface and stick with it, then make the O nice and large so that swirl seem more graceful and imortant. If you make the other letters smaller and then drop the O down a little bit, so it rests lower, I think things will flow much better. I'd use a sans-serif typeface just so your O can be a perfect circle (or at least much closer to that shape) or maybe even a little wider than it is taller, so the horizontal swirl seems less extreme.

I don't know if you meant to have the gaps between the lighter and the darker color fields (the darker ones seem inset so they don't meet corner to corner with the lighter fields...) but if you did I think it's unnecessary, since this is an icon those gaps will only really be seen when you look closely and will likely bother a lot of people until they realize them (gaps that small at corners tend to look like aliasing when it's scaled down... you don't want your logo to look aliased...)

Aside from all my bitching, I like the overall concept. Great work :)

Well, I usually don't like my art to be uniform. I was going for un-uniform letters.

And the lower-case "i" is homage to Apple.;)

Originally posted by wdw_
Well, I usually don't like my art to be uniform. I was going for un-uniform letters.

And the lower-case "i" is homage to Apple.;)

Good job with the "i".

What kind of music do you guys play?

I'm a fan of all kinds of music. Up until I was about 12, all I listened to was oldies. Then I started listening to rock, rap, techno, punk, metal and everything else. So we'll see what happens.

What do you think about this? This is just a "draft", of course, but what do you think about the general idea?

Attachments

• idiom2.jpg
    idiom2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 115
again...

how well would that reproduce 1/2" tall in newsprint or a photcopied flyer?

as a startup band, you should ask yourself questions like that in order to determine how good your logo is.

Originally posted by rinse
again...

Hmm, this sounds strangely familiar... ;) I wonder where I heard it before?

Yup, I wouldn't go for this logo myself. The first step is to not make the logo solic color, I think, and it needs better contrasts. E.g. neutral blue on white is a good combinition.

Originally posted by ksv
What do you think about this? This is just a "draft", of course, but what do you think about the general idea?
I've been working with different colors as well. It was originally black and yeallow, but I found a photoshop effect that changed it to the product I posted.

Originally posted by rinse
again...

I turned it to black and white and made it really small and it didn't look that bad.

The logo I made is just something I came up with in the middle of the night. Odds are, this won't end up being our logo.

I guess trying to design things at 1:00 in the morning doesn't work out too well...see:

Attachments

• wickey,wickey.gif
    wickey,wickey.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 78
That would be nice. I've been making a bunch of different logos to show to my friends next time we're all together. So trip, if you could make a bigger version of your logo, that would be great.

I let my good friend (Spencer Hales) take a look at the logo, he made his own little version...as well as a second re-vamped version. I'll upload both just for fun!

Attachments

• upsidelady.gif
    upsidelady.gif
    20.6 KB · Views: 64
Back