Band Logo

And Spencer's second re-vamp of my version. He basicly just added colour and gave it a bit more 'twist'.

Attachments

• possessed.gif
    possessed.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 69
I could make it larger manually, but it still wouldn't look that good! How'd you learn to magnifiy it like that and still keep great quality?!

I had to experiment with Photoshop. I actually have a copy that's a lot, lot bigger than the one I posted. I'll tell you how I did it, but remember that this won't work with photographs only shapes like the logo Trip provided.

Note: I’m just writing down how I did it with the band logo. You might have to change some of these steps for other pictures. Also, these instructions are for Photoshop.

• 1. Change the image to the desired size.
    2. Select the part of the image you want to fix.
    3. Next, go to Filter->Artistic->Cutout
    4. Change the cutout settings to the below and click OK:

No. Of levels: 8
    Edge Simplicity: 0
    Edge Fidelity: 3

5. Then select the color wand tool and option-click the white background.
    6. And last fill the selected with the color you want the selected to be.

Well, that’s how I did it.:cool:

Hey trip. If my band decides to use the logo you gave us, you won't sue or anything like that will you?

wdw_: If you guys really want to use it then it's all yours. :) And thanks for the help with re-sizing! I usually just used the sharpen and despeckle effects, but those didn't do the job too well.

Originally posted by Nummi_G4
Or... if you want to resize... you could simply trace it in Illustrator... and make it any size.
I tried that first, but it didn't come out in the quality I wanted, so I made up my own process in PS.

Originally posted by Trip
wdw_: If you guys really want to use it then it's all yours. :)
Thanks!:D

wdw_: I'm interested now...did you guys decide on a logo yet? I don't mind if it's not the one I made, I'm just interested in viewing it! :)

Our guitar player Jared chipped a vertebrae, got concussion and hurt one of his ribs a couple of weeks ago. Since he has all the drum sets and amps, we haven’t been able to get together for a while. Unfortunetly I don’t know my other two friend's emails (I’m not sure why :confused: ), so I couldn't email them the logo you made. But Jared’s feeling a lot better, so we should all be getting together very soon. So I’ll tell you what they think when I find out.

Everybody except Jared liked the logo! He said it's not rock enough; whatever that means. I'm gonna try and talk him into it though. Everbody else loved it though.

Hehe, that's always something nice to hear.
If you need something else and are interested in my work just give me a holler and I'll get it to you! :)

not a bad logo for originality, but it won't print well and isn't very flexible. What you need, my friend, is contrast. Like a previous poster stated, will it show up on a photocopied flyer in black and white? I would definitely pick one font and go with it since it's going to be the visual representation of your band from now till whenever. I would take out the yellow rectangle and focus on the definition of the characters themselves.

The "o" symbol is a bit printerly--ie, it's a registration symbol and not that unique. Maybe there's a better symbol that illustrates what IDIOM is about and you could put that in the "O".

Hope that helps. I know it's much easier to criticize than to create.

Originally posted by Natobasso
I know it's much easier to criticize than to create.

I completely agree.
But what we cannot forget here is the fact that the logo and design of the logo all play such a giant impact on the actual owner of the logo (in this case a band). The logo displays who they are and what they're doing. If you just pick out a random font and type the text then you will not get anywhere with the logo.

But then again, it's not completely up to us to decide on what's good or not for the band, that's for them to decide. And whatever they say...goes. I wish them luck! :)

About this photocopying thing. I am way too much of a perfectionist to be making bad photocopies. I would probably make a bunch of copies on my inkjet printer and if I were to use a copier, it would be a bitchin' copier.

Compare the cost of printing at home (you get maybe 200 pages before you have to change your toner for $30+) or on a copier ($.07 a copy) and you will probably go for the copies in the long run. No one cares how well your band flyer is printed, to be honest--they just want to know where your show is. (I am a musician myself--bass player)

If the time comes when we don't have enough money that we can't use the color copiers at Kinkos, then I'll use a really cheap copier and a high contrast logo.

When you say high contrast do mean something like the attached.

Attachments

• idiom_trip_b&w.jpg
    idiom_trip_b&w.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 33
Originally posted by wdw_
If the time comes when we don't have enough money that we can't use the color copiers at Kinkos, then I'll use a really cheap copier and a high contrast logo.

When you say high contrast do mean something like the attached.

Use both...keep this one for low quality print works in b&w (newspapers, etc.). Use the color version for other items in color, or when having high quality print work done.

For good copies take your file digitally to a Kinkos and have them print it digitally to their copier. I'd suggest your request them to print it on their Docu-Tec machines. Most Kinkos use a Xerox Doc or a Cannon Image Runner for digital printing, the Xerox uses a nice screen, the Cannons look more like a crayon drawing.

Make sure to take it in KFP or PDF format though, to be safe. (KFP can be downloaded from kinkos.com, kinda a "Kinko's PDF" format, but not sure if Mac version is out yet...was available for Win)

Back