Basic Questions about DNS service in Leopard Server

MDLarson

Registered
Here's what I have:
Intel Xserve with dual ethernet ports (configured manually; 10.0.1.106 and 10.0.1.107)
Mac OS X Server 10.5.4
FileMaker Server 9
Two subnets (10.0.0.X and 10.0.1.X) connected via VPN. Clients on both networks must be able to reach the server.

Here's what I want:
FileMaker opener files that, instead of referencing the raw IP address(es), reference a custom domain name instead. This would (I think) help in balancing the network load, as the switch will decide which port to actually use for traffic.

I've been led to believe that this is possible, but after a couple hours of digging for clues as to how to configure the DNS service, I'm still dumbfounded.

Can someone explain how I can configure this to make it work?

As a DNS entry is translated into a SINGLE ip-number, i guess it makes no real difference if you use a ip-number or an dns-name. Only when using different name and/or numbers, this might work, or having the DNS server supplying different numbers. This is possible, but then you should make 2 dns servers and add both ip-numbers (of the DNS servers to your ip-configuration. Depending on which dns-server is used, the provided ip-number can different (if you define a different ip-number for the same DNS reference which is not a real problem).

The question ofcourse is, can the load of the network connection be so high that it fills up completely (on a gigabit lan) while the computer has time to spare to handle more requests. I guess normally the answer will be NO.

Good luck, Kees

Well, I have to be honest; I don't fully understand everything you said, but I am now convinced that I don't really need to do DNS stuff to get what I want. The idea is cool, but my lack of experience (and based on your explanation, the technical aspects) tell me that I should just leave it alone.

Thanks for the answer... I'm gonna use that new Thanks button thingy now. :)

Back