Batch renaming id3 tags...

Fragger

Lorem Ipsum
My obsessive friend just AIMed me about 500 Bach songs, in addition to the few hundred I already had. Being a classical music freak myself I'm attempting to organize the music by the proper cataloguing scheme. Basically this just entails reformatting a ton of ID3 tags, something for which I can't really find a good application (and am too ignorant to code myself.) Basically I need the rudimentary functionality of a file formatter for ID3 tags. Most applications (mp3rage and such) only provide extremely basic options such as translating file names to id3 tags, capitalizing names, etc...

any suggestions would be welcomed,
thanks,
graham

Well, iTunes will let you batch change the ID3 tag information...

What exactly are you trying to do? Do you want to rename the files, or edit the ID3 tags in a batch fashion, and, if so, what exactly about the ID3 tags do you need to batch change?

basically I would like to organize the ID3 tags in the same manner that I ordered the filenames. To put some reasoning behind the madness, the official Bach catalogue includes BWV 1-1120 or so, 1-524 being vocal works, 525-771 being ogan works and so on. Since these songs are all from different sources there is no consistency between the naming conventions... some of them even lack the numbers, which is something I will have to add manually.
Here's an example of what i'm trying to do, the following two are examples of larger groups of songs with the same naming scheme...
Code:
Bach - The Well Tempered Clavier - Praeludium und Fuge - BWV 848 - Cis-Dur.
Edwin Fischer - J.S.Bach, The Well-tempered Clavier - 02 - Book I, Fugue No.4 in C sharp minor, BWV 849
I would like to standardize the format to, what say...
Code:
BWV 848 - The Well Tempered Clavier - Book I - No. 3 - Praeludium und Fuge in C minor
BWV 849 - The Well Tempered Clavier - Book I - No. 4 - Fugue in C sharp minor
Because then the songs would display in the proper order when organized by title. Basically it's an issue of rearranging the names. I hope this describes what I want to do better...

graham

Hmmm... well, I don't think there's a program out there that will do that with ease, but I think it's quite possible with a little work. It would take manual editing of the ID3 tags, though. You could, for example, select all the files and batch edit the Author/Composer tag to "Bach" (or whatever) and the Genre to "Classical", then start selectively editing the rest from there. Then, after they all have the correct ID3 tags, you can use MP3 Rage to rename them all using different fields of the ID3 tags.

Could take some work, but I think the deciding factor in getting them all renamed correctly is having the full and correct ID3 info for all of them.

Well, I suppose you are right, I just have to suck it up and edit the ID3 tags msyelf.... I can only wish that there was some easier way :p

thanks for the help though,
graham

Have a look here to see if there is a script to do what you want. If not, email Doug with your dilemma, and he will probably help you. I emailed him once, and within 48hours he'd written a brand new script that did what I wanted. What a guy!

Here's a script you use with iTunes. You can open the script and edit it to make it rename any way you want. Note that if there are two songs with the same name in a folder the script will stop and not notify you with a "Thanks" when it has finished. You then have to search the Music folders to find where it stopped. For that reason I suggest you just do a few at a time until you get the idea how it works.

Also compilation artist albums you may want to do differently..

I have mine set to Artist (Year) Album-Track#-songtitle

Batch Renaming

Warning - This is a Windows only program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back