battery care

RGrphc2

...InSaNe...
A few months ago (around mayish) i got a Newer Tech 4800 maH battery from OWC for my powerbook. I've charged it like they recommended (12 hours the first time and 12 hours at least once a month, other times just charge for 4 or so).

I've noticed a considerable drop in battery life, going once from 4+ hours to now 2:30 to 3 hours if i'm lucky. I've also check the voltage using iBatt and Battorx and both programs state my charge is at NOW 3.189 while last week it was close to 3.8

How come i lost so much voltage in such a short period of time?? and what's the PROPER (apple recommended way to charge a powerbook or ibook)

does anybody else have this battery problem with them??

You should calibrate that battery for maximum usage.

Plug the power adapter in and fully charge your computer's battery until the battery indicator lights turn off and the adapter plug ring goes from amber to green, which indicates that the battery is fully charged.
Disconnect the power adapter and use your iBook or PowerBook. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen. Continue to use your computer until it goes to sleep. At that point the battery has been sufficiently drained for calibration.
Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

Cheryl said:
You should calibrate that battery for maximum usage.

Plug the power adapter in and fully charge your computer's battery until the battery indicator lights turn off and the adapter plug ring goes from amber to green, which indicates that the battery is fully charged.
Disconnect the power adapter and use your iBook or PowerBook. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen. Continue to use your computer until it goes to sleep. At that point the battery has been sufficiently drained for calibration.
Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

Done, and now my battery is even lower! At 2.989 now, that didn't help.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Call NewerTech... sounds like a bad battery!

Called them up, they told me to reset the PMU and calibrate it under their specs (charge for 12 hours), it's now at 3.224 :D, I'll charge it, play around charge it again like they say...i can't believe it was such an easy fix...next time i have battery problem's i'll know what it is :)

I may have the same problem though I'm using an Apple battery. I've set the Energy Saver settings for Maximum Battery life. First things first; resetting PMU...is that the same as resetting PRAM? Never done this before. I've noticed my battery drains exceptionally fast. Its a replacement battery I've had for about 2 months. Started using the computer this morning with a 98% charge. In 1 hr and 40 minutes the charge is down to 32% (about 47 minutes remaining). I've got an external display attached and I'm using an Apple Bluetooth keyboard. Could this have much of an effect?

you have to look at apple's website, on new powerbook's just Command+Option+Shift+Power, wait 5 seconds and reboot

Back