battery dead?

Aussie John

Registered
Hi I have an older style imac (CRT slot loader) who's date reverts to 1970 if turned off. I am guessing this is a battery issue. How easy is it to access the battery and is this the likely problem? I havent noticed anyother issues. eg starts ok, prefs seem to be remembered
thanks
I have found a PDF instruction for replacing the battery but it appears to be for the original imac where you had to disasaemble the case to replace the RAM

Could be a battery...
If you turn the iMac over, you'll see the hatch (has a coin slot lock) Open that, You'll see the memory slots and the IDE cable that connects to your hard drive and CD drive. Now look through the hatch toward the back of the computer, and you should be able to see the battery in its holder. You can reach this with your fingertips. It should measure about 3.6 volts if you want to test it. I usually replace if less than 3.3 volts in the iMacs. If you replace (or simply remove for testing) the battery, you need to press the reset button, once ONLY! You'll find the little reset button looking through the hatch on the same side of the computer, but looking forward. It's a small black on a tiny silver square (about 1/4 inch square). This will restart the PMU chip (controls a number of internal computer functions)

Back