Battery Not Charging

If you remove the main battery while the power adapter is attached, does the green LED come back on?

You might get a recovery like this:
Remove battery and disconnect Magsafe (be sure that's also unplugged from the wall)
Press and hold that power button again for 5 seconds. Leave the power adapter completely unplugged for at least 10 minutes. (be patient today!)
Leave the battery out for now.
Plug the Magsafe back in (no battery, and don't turn on yet). Wait for 5 minutes. Does the Magsafe LED remain on and green? Press and release the power button. Let it start, and wait another 5 minutes or so. Does the green light remain on all that time?
Now - insert the battery. And - shut down your MacBook. Wait 10-15 minutes with the MacBook completely off.
Does the Magsafe LED ever change to amber/orange?
Finally - turn your MacBook back on, and let it set for another 10 minutes or so fully powered on.
Return to the System Profiler. Is there any change to the battery listing now? You would be looking for any change to the Full Charge Capacity - like an actual number - or any other indication of battery charging.
If you still get nothing, then the battery should be toast (and not in a good way :) )

the magsafe led remained green for the whole time. it never changed to orange :(

no change in system profiler info either! sigh. looks like time to get a new battery

just for future reference, could this have been caused by not using the macbook for an entire month? (not sure if it was plugged in or not)

I suspect the battery was already 'on the edge', and leaving it when the battery could completely run down hastened the death of the battery. If the MacBook was left plugged in, then the battery may have still been working now - maybe...

Hi there,

According to the post I have tried resetting the SMC i.e. after unplugging the MagSafe both from MacBook & power supply, I removed the battery & finally pressed the power button for 5 seconds. No effect.

Have also tried to plug the MagSafe without the battery but again no affect.

With or without the battery when I plug the MagSafe & switch on the power the LED gives a very very feeble green (it's hardly visible at all but when I switch power off it is black as in no light at all).

My mac is 2 yes old. Could not boot so not able to share system profiler info about the battery. Even after 2 yrs, it would retain charge for more than 90%. I still get close to 3 hrs on full charge.

Can you help?

Really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Harish

The "very very feeble green" LED on the magsafe connector may mean that your magsafe adapter is bad. Try a different adapter - borrow one, or take to an Apple service center for a better evaluation.
Or - try _your_ magsafe adapter in a different MacBook or MacBook Pro. You would see very quickly if that LED is much brighter on a different laptop...
If it seems to work better on a different laptop, then likely you have an internal failure on your own laptop. Could be a bad battery, or the internal magsafe connector (the part inside your laptop) may be faulty.

The "very very feeble green" LED on the magsafe connector may mean that your magsafe adapter is bad. Try a different adapter - borrow one, or take to an Apple service center for a better evaluation.
Or - try _your_ magsafe adapter in a different MacBook or MacBook Pro. You would see very quickly if that LED is much brighter on a different laptop...
If it seems to work better on a different laptop, then likely you have an internal failure on your own laptop. Could be a bad battery, or the internal magsafe connector (the part inside your laptop) may be faulty.
Really appreciate your prompt response DeltaMac. Keeping my fingers crossed I shall try with adapter first.

Thanks a ton again. This forum is really great. Keep it up.

Cheers,
Harish

I disagree, mostly because there's no DC-in board on a MacBook, and the problem usually is the battery, as long as you get lights on the power connector.
Reset the power manager (by removing the battery, and unplugging the power adapter, then hold the power button for at least 5 seconds. reinsert the battery, and plug in the power adapter.)
Turn on your MacBook.
If the battery has discharged completely, it can take 10 to 15 minutes before the battery responds, so leave it plugged in, and be patient.

Check in your System Profiler, then Power tab, for information about the condition of the battery.
Best information will be the Total Charge Capacity, and the Charge Cycles.
Come back with what you see in those values.
I have read everyones advice and tried it all, including cleaning all connections with alcohol. My charger is lit green but my battery icon says "no battery available"

This is my system profiler/power details:
Battery Information:

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 0
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle count: 0
Battery Installed: No
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 0

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Current Power Source: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: No
Battery Power:
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0000
Wattage (W): 0
Revision: 0x0000
Family: 0x0000
Serial Number: 0x00000000

This is my system profiler/hardware details:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.13f3
Serial Number (system): 4H6492FCWGM
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2F29F03
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I am very impressed with your advice you have given the other guys and hope you can help me out too. One more thing. The battery's lights dont light at all.

Thank you for your help in advance.
F Glads

<<<UPDATE 5 HOURS LATER>>>

I went to my daughter house and put her battery in. It showed as normal. Couldnt plug it in - no power in her house cause of hurricane - Anyway the computer showed her batt in my comp as a good battery and worked on batt only.
LATER I home and put my batt back in my comp and plug it in and not it says - NOT CHARGING in the upper battery symbol at the top of screen.
I then go to SYSTEM PROFILER/POWER and this is what it reads:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: ASMB013
Pack Lot Code: 0001
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0102
Hardware Revision: 0300
Cell Revision: 0100
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 0
Fully charged: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle count: 886
Condition: Replace Now
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 45
Voltage (mV): 4100

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On LAN: Yes
Current Power Source: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: No
Battery Power:
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0100
Wattage (W): 85
Revision: 0x0000
Family: 0x00ba
Serial Number: 0x00e35b5f

So apparently doing the switch jolted the system to give me additional info on the battery.
Are there any new thoughts with all this new info in mind?

Steve

Last edited:
Maybe find someone or a store who will let you temporarily try their battery in your laptop.
I really think your battery is whooped, hence the battery charge lights not working and system profiler indicating no battery present.

I just went through a very similar scenario and a new battery fixed me up.

I added more info to my post - thanks for helping before - is there more you would add now that more info is available?

Cycle count: 886
So the battery and the cycle count were recognized above for a while. 886 cycles on a battery, and now not holding charger or charging? Time to replace. The older (pre-unibody) batteries lasted 300 cycles, more if you were lucky, and the new ones are marketed to last around 900 cycles.

Back