Benchmarking Chrome & Webkit Mac OSX

Durbrow

Registered
I am quite enjoying using the latest version of Google Chrome for Mac OS X (note: I am not referring to Chromium). I normally use the latest beta of Webkit. Both seem to pass the Acid 3 test. For SunSpider I get very different results for each browser. For example; for Chrome 4.... I get 723 and for Webkit I get 669. I know I should take these benchmarks with a grain of salt but why do I get different results when I rerun the tests. For example, Chrome 4 sometimes scores 1000+ on this test. Thanks for any info. Just curious.

P.S. No crashes yet. Is anyone using either of these as their MAIN browser?

Google Chrome 4.0.202.0
Webkit ersion 4.0.3 (5531.9, r47409)

I believe that Chrome uses one JavaScript engine (called "V8") and Safari uses a different JavaScript engine (called "SquirrelFish").

WebKit drives the underlying HTML rendering engine, which both Safari and Chrome use, but the JavaScript engines are different.

Since JavaScript is client-based (i.e., runs on your system, using your processor cycles), the benchmark score you get is going to be dependent on what else is happening on your system as well. If you're in the middle of a benchmark and Spotlight's indexing service kicks in, then your benchmarks will suffer a tad. If you have relatively light processes going on, then your benchmarks will be better.

Back