Best Lightscribe Media?

dslclueless

Registered
I have a Lacie cd/dvd burner with Lightscribe technology. Before I buy a bunch of blank disks to burn, does anyone know which brands work best and/or which brands I should avoid for cds and dvds? I appreciate any input. I'm running Mac OX 10.3.9.

Thanks!

first off you will not be able to use the lightscribe part of your dive with a mac. Because HP came up with the lightscribe drives and the let other drive makes use that. And HP say on all of there Lightscribe Drives that they will not work with a mac and that they will not make they work with a mac. So that drive will burn CDs and DVDs but you over paid for that drive becase that part that want to work will not. sorry.

LaCie does not manufacture disk drives. They use other vendor's drives and put them in their own enclosures. The actual disk drive inside of the LaCie enclosure is manufactured by hp, Pioneer, Sony, Lite-On, or some other disk drive manufacturer.

My recommendation would be to use high-quality media, and stay away from bulk, no-brand-name media. I typically go for Imation or Verbatim media, falling back to the slightly sub-par Memorex media when better media isn't available.

Why not buy a 5-pack of some media first, test it, then go out and buy bulk if it works? Just because one particular brand of media works on one person's drive does not mean you'll have the exact same results.

I've never tested my LaCie drive, but the system requirements make it clear that LightScribe CAN be used with OS X (although not OS 9, since you need Toast 6 or better).

I don't have much experience with LightScribe media, but I think the good brands are good across the board. I try to avoid Memorex and KHypermedia, although I sometimes buy KHypermedia because they're so cheap. Those are the only two brands I've ever had real problems with.

The most common sentiment I hear is that Imation discs are top-notch.

Mikuro said:
I've never tested my LaCie drive, but the system requirements make it clear that LightScribe CAN be used with OS X (although not OS 9, since you need Toast 6 or better).
I have tested my LaCie Lightscribe DL DVD±R drive that I installed internally and it works like gangbusters. Burning the label takes a lot longer than burning a full CD but its cool. I have used Verbatim CD-Rs and Memorex DVD-Rs and impressed the heck out of family members I sent vacation movies and slide shows to. Nary a glitch so far.

Back