Best way to back up?

antonioconte

Registered
Hi, I am about to purchase a new laptop but I'm worrried:

I need to back up my itunes library of songs album by album and transfer it to the new laptop - whats the easiest way?

Also, I'd like to copy my library folder onto a external hard drive so that I can pick and choose which apps I wish to install on the new laptop.

Safari needs to be backed up as well.

Has anyone got a good solution for this?

thanks in advance.

When you get your new laptop. set yourself up a .Mac membership –*even if it's only the trial. When you jon, you can download Apple's Backup (v2.02 is the latest version, I think).

Use Backup to back up your files to DVD or CD or an external drive if you have one, then restore it all to the new laptop.

Yes. Backup has some pre-set backup 'smartlists' but you can also turn those off & specify specific files or folders.

If your new laptop will also be a Macintosh, then you don't need to back up iTunes or Safari -- they'll be included with the new laptop.

Not elegant and not the cheapest but foolproof and easy to set up.

Buy Chronosync for $25
Buy a small firewire drive for $140.
Tell Chronosync which folders on the mac you want to be duplicated on the firewire drive, and tell it that you want the Mac to have priority every time.
Tell Chrnosync when you want the backup done and how often.

That's it - the Firewire drive mirrors any mac folders you want. It's very fast, almost unnoticeable if you are using the mac when the backup occurs, and you don't have to pay for use of someone else's server. Also has a lot of room for many many mp3s.

I tried Backup 2 with .mac but was disappointed that one can't tell it to transfer to iDisk all documents that have been changed in the last week. Or can it?

When you do your first backup or create a new backup set, it will copy ALL files in the specified folders. Thereafter, it will only perform an incremental backup, i.e. it will only backup files that have changed and new files in those folders.

Back