Better than Panther...

serpicolugnut

OS X Supreme Being
If you are longing for the new features of Panther's Finder, you don't have to wait until Panthers release, and you don't have to shell out $129 for it...

Cocoatech's Path Finder has really turned it up a notch, and outshines the OS X Finder by miles. If you haven't given it a try, you owe it to yourself to download the app and try it free for 21 days.

It offers all this:

• Customizable interface (fonts, size, colors, arrangement)
  • Built in disk image mounter
  • Built in text editor
  • Built in PDF viewer
  • Built in Terminal application
  • Built in process viewer
  • Ability to print directories (yeah, Panther still can't do this)
  • Ability to re-define keyboard shortcuts
  • Ability to show invivisible files (and easily turn on/off this feature)
  • Labels (in the old OS 9 style)
  • Report generator
  • And a ton of other features...

I've been using Path Finder since it was called SNAX. Back then, it was a nice addition to the Finder. But now, it has come of age and is a great replacement for the Finder (even Panthers imrpoved Finder).

And best of all, the developer, Steve Gehrman actually listens to feedback and implements suggestions from his users. What a concept.

Check it out at Cocoatech

Path Finder is a COOL product indeed! BUT... With $129 for Panther you get loads more stuff and not just new Finder tricks :eek:

Still, for those who will not update to Panther for whatever reasons, Path Finder is AMAZING plus methinks that Cocoatech will release a Panther version in the not so distant future ;)

Finder is carbon. I haven't opened to see if Panther's finder is carbon or cocoa.. iTunes is another that has remained in carbon.

I knew Jaguar Finder was carbon. And don't get me started about iTunes remaining carbon...

I have heard that Panther's Finder is Carbon as well.

What will Cocoatech bring to Panther's table that it doesn't already have (besides printing directories)?

Maybe the developers should target Beige owners who can run Jaguar, but have been locked out of Panther.

Some clarifications...

Path Finder already works well with Panther, so if you buy it now, it won't be obsolete once Panther is released.

Also, the Panther Finder isn't Cocoa. It's a mixture of both Carbon and Cocoa technologies.

For the last week, I've used Path Finder exclusively on my Power Mac (using 10.2.6). On my Powerbook, I've been running Panther b53 for comparison. After a weeks use, I can say I much prefer Path Finder to the Panther Finder and will use PF when Panther comes out.

Oh, and another nice little touch is you can easily switch between using the Brushed or Aqua interface in PF.

For those inquiring, Path Finder is $35 and it's well worth it...

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Also, the Panther Finder isn't Cocoa. It's a mixture of both Carbon and Cocoa technologies.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know much about this sort of thing, I just know that all the cool/helpful things that I want to do that are possible with Cocoa apps (like those 2 apps I mentioned before) don't work with the Finder in Panther. So I guess it's missing whatever 'cocoaness' it needs to operate like that.

I have used Path Finder before, and it is nice. If I didn't know any better though, I would think serpicolugnut works for Cocoatech. Don't really matter.

No, I don't work for Cocoatech, although I'll admit I'm sounding a little like a shill for them in this post.

I'm promoting this software because, in my opinion, it is the finest piece of "shareware" developed for OS X. This is how the Finder should have been done from day one (of OS X). It's that good. Apple could literally fire the entire Finder team at Apple and replace them with this one developer and Path Finder, and it would be viewed by the majority of users a vast improvement.

Cocoatech is just one guy. Steve Gehrman runs the company out of his home in LA.

Most of the improvements to Path Finder that have put it over the top have appeared in the latest release which is still in beta. If you've used it in the past, check out the new version 2.5. Steve outdid himself and added a TON of new features since the last release - process viewer, shelf, tons of interface options, built in text editor, PDF viewer, terminal, etc.

I just wonder, is Path finder a replacement for the 'original' Finder (system shell) or is it 'just' a add-on-filebrowsing/ filemangement program?

Originally Path Finder (then called SNAX) was considered an add on to the original Finder. However, as Steve added features to the product, it began to eclipse what the Mac OS X Finder was capable of.

So, in the latest release, Path Finder has a "Quit Finder" option. You can run the two side by side, or you can instruct Path Finder to quit the Finder upon launch. This is the mode I work in.

Of course, you can completely replace the Finder with Path Finder by using a little terminal copying and renaming. But with the new "quit Finder" option, it's not really necessary anymore.

Serpicolugnut, I was just messing with you. I agree with you, it is an excellent finder replacement. I have used it, and really enjoy it. As for me, I am using Path Finder until Panther comes out. Then I will make my decision on which one I will use. :)

I never liked "SNAX" (I especially hated the name), tried it again when it was renamed and still didn't like it...
Giving it another try... and trying to remember what it was that I didn't like about it. :p

Some questions:

How it is determined which shell/program opens a directory window when... lets say if you click on the HD icon on your desktop...

Or does path finder handle the save/open dialoge of various applications?

Does path finder takes over such global functions as descriped above like the original finder?

If Apple decides to stick with ugly brushed metal theme in Panther, path finder would be a great replacement 'cause it doesn't make use of this theme.
This way I don't have to rely on themes which most likely break after the first 10.3.x update...

Ya know - I really liked PF at first, and bought it. But I found it to be a huge system hog as far as memory goes. I was running it side by side with Finder tho, so maybe that was the problem. I still like it for some things, but i'm not toally sold on it yet...

Back