Better than Panther...

In the early 2.x releases, Path Finder did have some issues with hogging too much CPU at times. These are a thing of the past with the new 2.5 release, I'm happy to report...

Path Finder doesn't have anything to do with the open/save dialog boxes. If you are looking to enhance those in Jaguar, look to Default Folder. It does a decent job of adding what Apple left out. Panther finally restores the open/save dialog boxes to how they should have been from day one, however. This is probably the main feature I am looking forward to in Panther.

If you are running Path Finder and the Finder together, you have the option of hiding/showing the Path Finder desktop. If the Path Finder desktop is hidden and you have the Finder running, clicking on the HD icon on your desktop will open in the Finder. If you have Path Finder running and showing the Path Finder desktop, the Path Finder desktop will sit above the Finder desktop, essentially hiding the Finder desktop until you quit Path Finder or hide it's desktop.

Confusing? Yes. That's why I just use Path Finder instead of the Finder....

Actually, it's not that confusing.

If PF is hogging resources, quit the Finder and it will probably free up a lot.

The should call it Path Finder Reloaded... SO, many functions! It is like 100 Smiths fighting 1 Neo! And Neo=User :eek: In the end you have to go away from 100 Smiths :p

Personally, I think that Path Finder is for Power Users or something :rolleyes:

Nah! I will stick with OS X Revolutions (=Panther) :)

I'm not a Power User after all ;)

Yea, and just like the Matrix, Hulkaros you left some quite confused.

Off topic... but I love those movies, can't wait for Revolutions. And that Smiths fight seen was just crazy, as was the Trinity and that one chick in the restaurant... I can go on and on. I have the first DVD, getting the second, and needless to say i will have them all.

I actually work for Cocoatech, in a consulting fashion (I designed the new cocoatech web site and wrote the copy), but I originally started off just as a Path Finder user, and like the appliation so much that I started helping Steve out with stuff.

Anyway, to answer someone's question about actually using this as a replacement for the finder, all you need to do is edit the com.apple.loginwindow.plist file and added the folliowing:

Code:
<key>Finder</key>
<string>/..full path to../Path Finder.app</string>

This will stop Apple's finder from launching when you log into the OS.

As for Panther improvements, I know that Steve is planning a bunch of optimizations and fixes when Panther comes out. The big stumbling block up to this point is the fact that Applescript support in Cocoa applications is pretty sucky, but apparently this will be fixed in Panther.

And yes, the Panther finder is Carbon, but it doesn't matter - Cocoa isn't better than Carbon. They just have different names. :)

Back