Black Mac Book finish?

DCD

Registered
Am I the only one that thinks the black matte finish on the new Mac Book is a a terrible idea? I stopped over at the Apple Store in Tokyo shortly after the release of these great machines, ready to place an order for a black one. I start playing around with the machines on display and I couldn't believe what state the exterior black finish was in! Scratches, finger prints and grease marks all over the place and around where they were strapped down a couple of paint chips! All you had to do is gently scrape the finish with your finger nails and you would leave instant marks. Come on Apple is this what you want your laptops to look like after a while?

I will now pray for a glossy black version!:D

I don't think that has anything to do with matte or glossy finish. Just look at the iPods: the black ones are glossy and still people complain that the scratches and finger prints are much more visible than in the white version.

Black is the hardest colour to keep clean and free from scratches. For example: I have a Black Car and every single mark stands out like a sore thumb. My wife's car is white and always looks clean even though it's actually covered in tiny scuff marks.
A black GLOSSY Macbook would look even worse than the current matt finish!

Yep -- people mistakenly think that dirt is black... it's not: it's white. Black cars dirty fast (yep, garymum, I got a black car too -- wash it, and it's clean for about an hour!) and black iPods show fingerprints and scratches worse. It only stands to reason that scratches, fingerprints and dirt show much worse on a black finish than they do on a white finish.

You also have to bear in mind that these black MacBooks you're basing your conclusion on are "public" notebooks -- hundreds of people put their grimy, dirty, greasy, bathroom fingers all over them all day, and probably don't treat them very well either. Unless you intend to subject your own black MacBook to that same punishment, it isn't fair to judge how your computer will look by the demo computers Apple has in their stores.

I have noticed numerous reports over the past few days of the the White MacBoks turning yellow on the wrist rests and around the bezel.
I'll put up with a few finger prints and a little scratching.

Jim

Personally I am (and always have been) a fan of Apple's all-white approach. I think it's definitely made them stand out from the crowd.

As for the black MacBooks, I've never really cared much for them. Seeing a black and white one side-by-side, I'd much rather go for the white one. I've never been a fan of black computers anyway.

I'm all for black _desktop_ computers. Nothing beats an old NeXT station with a greyscale monitor at looking like Death in person. ;) Well, Death in person, probably - at least if she tries to be convincing. Anyway: I guess for Apple, it's simply a win-win situation. They can easily test the waters with this. If the black model is a success, even though it costs more, it's a good sign that a black _iMac_ would definitely work. Although it'd have to be glossy black, not matte.

Hey, if they can put a glossy black finish (kind of like the black iPod Nanos) with some kind of charcoal/graphite colored trim on a new case enclosure I think it would look cool.

Dell boxes suck because they're ugly designs covered in even uglier promo stickers, not because they're black. :D

Back