blank screen on ibook (800 MHz)

havim13

Registered
I have a MAC IBook (800 MHz 32VRAM) ibook and when I turned it on this morning I got a blank screen. I tried turning it off and on several times to no avail. I know the computer is on because when I touch the sound button (F5) I could hear the noise, but I have just a blank screen. I am assuming its a monitor problem or did I touch a function(s) key by mistake and it blanked the screen. Please help. Thanks

The G3 iBook has a terrible history of video problems, and are much like you report. You could try attaching an external display (with the correct adapter), but the external may be the same (blank), which will be more proof of the problem. This happens because the video connector on the logic board start to come loose. It usually needs to be re-soldered, which is a job for an expert. In the past, the fix has been to replace the logic board.

The problem could be a little different, so you could check with power on. Look into the screen, shining a bright light into the screen from several different directions. You want to see if any icons/menus/windows are visible, even if very dim. If so, your screen backlight has failed, and the display needs to be replaced.

None of these repairs are cost-effective on a G3, IMHO

Have to second that. I know a dealer through ebay who could get me very inexpensive parts for my Widdle Mac--Pismo. Drove that sucker into the ground. Got a good eight years out of it. Replacing a $20 AC sound card--which Apple will charge you $$$ for!--to get a few more years? No problem! Even upgraded the processor to a G4. But . . . time came . . . time to finally get a new/used Mac.

That time may have come to you.

--J.D.

Back