Blue and White G3, Won't Boot after 10.4.6 stall

trex

Registered
Hi,

My Blue and White G3 will not boot after it stalled upgrading to 10.4.6.

In addition for some reason now... and old yellow dog linux grub loader is booting up on restart, which prevents me from going into single user mode.

So I need to remove the grub loader. I tried fishing around in the terminal using the Tiger boot cd -> Terminal app...

but I can't seem to find the /boot directory. I'm guessing I need to mount the right partition, but it looks like all are already mounted, as I can see them in /Volumes

Once I'm able to remove the grub loader, I'm hoping I can then reboot into a new Tiger install that I did, and then download the 10.4.6 update and update the old corrupt partition that stalled with 10.4.6.

unfortunately the B&W doesn't support firewire target disk mode :K

any feedback would be kind.

it sound like you need to go in to open firmware and do a reset there. that with doing a PRAM zap might do the trick.

any suggestions on the best way to reset the firmware?

can I do that in the terminal app from the Tiger boot cd?

what about removing the grub loader?

thanks in advance.

to get into openfirmware you need to restart the mac right as your let go of the power take and hold option key + apple key + o key and the f key all at onece. now for the stuff you need to type might need to do a seach for openfirmware. I have not had to do this on my G4 power mac for a long time.
I would kick my self if posted something that would trun you G3 in to a big paper waght. ok?

To reset the NVRAM in open firmware, boot as camgangrel says (hold Command-Option-O-F during boot), then at the open firmware prompt, type:

reset-nvram <enter>
reset-all <enter>

Of course, don't actually type "<enter>" -- just press enter. That should get rid of the bootloader.

Hi,

I reset the firmware, but I still get the yaboot bootloader at startup.

I've been trying to find some instructions on how to remove yaboot, but I have come up with nothing.

any suggestions? I tried posting at the yellow dog forum.

Back