Bluetooth Dissappeared??

recwall

Registered
I have a g4 powerbook and I was using a wireless mouse and keyboard... all of a sudding it OSX is telling me I don't have a bluetooth module installed. When I try to re-install the firmware or re-connect bluetooth devices I get the same message. How can I remedy this?

After resetting PRAM, removing multiple 3rd party S/W and many other S/W fixes, I finally found a solution: the Bluetooth module (H/W) was dead...bought and installed a new one...everything's wonderful. http://www.ifixit.com/info/install-difficulty Note: in my case, the beachball of death was spinning when ever the mouse was over spotlight...the menubar routine kept looking for the BT, never found it. Until I replaced it with a new one.

Thank you for posting your solution (so many don't).

Topically, I would like to add, for those finding this on search, that, at least on some models, booting to single-user mode and then continuing to multi-user mode disabled the internal bluetooth module. I would recommend, if possible, when booting to single-user mode to reboot, rather than logging out and continuing to multi-user mode.

Yes, Michael, that will work as a temporary fix: I used it for many months before I got up the nerve to crack open my powerbook. Restarting after a cold start will work as well to disable the BT "search" in the background. (Powerbook G4 1-1.5 GHz)

Quote:
Thank you for posting your solution (so many don't).

Topically, I would like to add, for those finding this on search, that, at least on some models, booting to single-user mode and then continuing to multi-user mode disabled the internal bluetooth module. I would recommend, if possible, when booting to single-user mode to reboot, rather than logging out and continuing to multi-user mode.
• AMD Athlon64 3500+ | Slackware 12 (2.6.21.5-smp) | 2 GB RAM, 2•120 GB RAID 1, 2•500 GB RAID 0

Back