Bluetooth incompatibiliy

Oh, Yes. the cell phone and Mac do try to communicate, but the link simply doesn't happen..... I have two MACs (an Imac and a Macbook) Bluetooth works fine between them. The cell phone bluetooths fine with my new Prius car. But the phone won't communicate with the Macs. Go figure...

What cell phone do you have? What version of OS X do you have? Contrary to belief, Mac users also use all kinds of cll phone from all around the world. With a little specifics a bet we can get the bluetooth connection working.

Hi,
Thanks for trying to help. Here's the data:

Macbook using OS10.4.10. It has Bluetooth with software V. 1.9 ofh.
The telephone is an Audiovox UTS Starcom SuoerSlice CDM-1450. I don't know what version of Bluetooth it uses but it is compatible with HSP & HFP.

I've tried the Bluetooth set up protocal several times. My Mac does pick up the phone's bluetooth, tries to pair with it, even giving the passkey. But that's where it stops. The Phone doesn't respond. I get the message: "the pairing attempt was unsuccessful. Make certain the phone is in range of the computer (I'm holding it next to it), is discoverable (It is set to be "discoverable"). When ready, click continue to try again."

Nothing.

And there you have it. I've tried to get tech help from Virgin Mobile (The Phone's a Virgin Mobile "Super Slice" Model). They say they are working on a fix for Mac compatibillity, but no timeline.

Incidentally, I just bought a Toyota Prius. The Super slice works fine with the car's Bluetooth capability. Go figure.....
Once again thanks for your help.......
Tom

Check the phone's manual and see what the default BlueTooth pairing number is. It sounds as if the passkey is not taking.

Dear Satcomer,
I think I know what the problem is now. This telephone, the Virgin Mobile Super Slice has a very limited Bluetooth capability. It apparently does not have Object transmission capability, only Hands Free capability designed for a bluetooth headset. Aaaaargh!
When I get it searching for my Macbook it doesn't even recognise its presence, even though I stand only five feet away. That's telling me it isn't designed to interface with computers, only deadsets for hands free operations....
Do you agree.
Incidentally, when I try to search for bluetooth with my MacBook it does identify the cell phone, but the phone does not repond, does not even ask to input a pairing number.
The Super Slice does pair with my new Toyota Prius, but that pairing is designed solely for hands free telephone operations. Now I get it. There are limits to Bluetoothing, especially if the telephone manufacturer builds that limitation into the product.
And, once again, thank you for your input into resolving this issue
Respectfully,
Tom Caulfield

Back