Bluetooth Mouse FCC approved!

Originally posted by rharder
Are you sure it's Bluetooth? I didn't see the word Bluetooth anywhere in the product's pages.

-Rob

Good catch! That explains the requirement for the USB port. Funny, how did this go unnoticed till now.

about iSync...

Steve mentioned that it used the SyncML standard. My guess is that this is some sort of open XML standard. If that's the case, any phone that adheres to the standard should work. Also, Apple did say that they were going to be putting up a list of compatible phones on their web site. I don't think the function is exclusively tied to Cingular (maybe now, but SyncML sound like an open standard to me... )

the fcc link says that the mous is bluetooth, and it comes with a bluetooth adapter, so why buy the $50 bluetooth thing from Apple when you can get this WITH a mouse?

Originally posted by rharder
Are you sure it's Bluetooth? I didn't see the word Bluetooth anywhere in the product's pages.

-Rob

Hmmm...good point. I edited my post and took out the first link 'cause I think you're probably right. I just saw the news release and went looking on their website and found the "Wireless Optical Mouse Blue" and assumed it must be bluetooth. My bad. They are really releasing one (supposedly this year) and the real bluetooth mouse is supposed to come with a usb receiver/hub. Seems like not-so-great marketing to release a mouse with the name "blue" in it so close to when they will be releasing a bluetooth mouse. Or maybe there's some devious purpose behind that...it is Microsoft after all...;)

Bluetooth mice will be better than other wireless mice because manufactures (especially Apple) will finally be able to have wireless capabilities built-into computers, since its a standard that is good and that everyone can follow. That means less cable clutter and much easier to use - definitely Apple style! If you have a PowerBook you won't have to carry around the wireless receiver all the time (assuming Apple adds built-in bluetooth capabilities in the next generation, of course).

Having multiple machines with bluetooth reception in the area shouldn't be too much of a problem -- there could always be a switch on the mouse to provide a unique ID number or something.

Also, the bluetooth mouse from Microsoft, at least, is supposed to have a range of 30 feet! I've owned a couple wireless mice and the normal 6 foot range was actually a bother sometimes. That much range might take more power, but if someone made a bluetooth mouse with a lithium-polymer rechargeable battery and a cool cradle like zerorex suggested you'd never have to worry about running out of battery power as long as you docked your mouse maybe one night a month!

Logitech has said before they have no plans to produce bluetooth mice because their proprietary technology is so great, but I hope they change their minds and keep the heat on MS. Standards, standards, standards....

Originally posted by jeb1138

Logitech has said before they have no plans to produce bluetooth mice because their proprietary technology is so great, but I hope they change their minds and keep the heat on MS. Standards, standards, standards....

Logitech also said they would not make OS X drivers. They are such a bunch of blithering idiots that I gave up on them a long time ago and never looked back. Long live Kensington.

Once those wireless Pro Mouse and wireless Pro Keyboard are released. I would get them all! I hate to see there are so many wires covering on my desk! I would prefer to stay the cable behind my table... but those keyboard and mouse cables are coming out from the machine upon me.

Originally posted by ddma
Once those wireless Pro Mouse and wireless Pro Keyboard are released. I would get them all! I hate to see there are so many wires covering on my desk! I would prefer to stay the cable behind my table... but those keyboard and mouse cables are coming out from the machine upon me.

My friend called it wiarrhea. :) I don't really mind the wires. Kind of industrial looking. Plus since the mouse plugs into the keyboard, I think it's less of an issue.

Nokia's 7650 is a clunky disaster waiting to happen. I know, I tested the prototype during an MMS content production project.
Nokia's implementation of MMS is nasty. SonyEricsson's is much better. In the next 6 months we are going to see Nokia's share price fall slightly and Ericsson's rise, which is already starting tohappen.

That aside, I love what apple are doing with Bluetooth but will wait till they bring out a mouse of their own!

I was watching The Screen Savers on Tech TV tonight and they had on the MS Blue Mouse. It's bascially the same thing as the Wheel Mouse (Optical), but colored blue to look cool and get away from the beige color. Cord and all. That's it.

Yeah, I don't really understand why they added that model to their lineup...
Hopefully they'll released their "true-blue" bluetooth mouse & keyboard models soon.

Originally posted by jeb1138
Yeah, I don't really understand why they added that model to their lineup...
Hopefully they'll released their "true-blue" bluetooth mouse & keyboard models soon.

Well as Tech TV put it, to express your individuality. Any color you want, as long as it's blue. :)

Btw, voce e carioca?

For those concerned about too many mice in a small area, don't.

AFAIK (even though I haven't tried it), you need to pair bluetooth devices before they will work together. This requires both devices to acknowledge each other at least once.

So if you have a couple of machines on your desk, you can choose to pair your bluetooth mouse with just one box.

hope this helps,

Originally posted by hazmat

You know, I was wondering the same thing. I don't understand how you would have a bluetooth mouse, since everything in the area would pick it up, like if you had a few computers.

Bluetooth devices have unique ID so you do not have to worry about another computer picking up the Bluetooth signal from your mouse and moving their cursor (and get cursed in the process by the other computer user).

I have successfully set up Bluetooth transmitter/receiver (D-Link) for an Ericcson phone and it works wonders.

Tried getting another computer with the same brand transmitter/receiver near the same phone and it will not read, therefore steal data. The unique ID works well.

I am not a technical person therefore I will not be able to give you all the technical specs. But Bluetooth is still a wireless device, and personally the set up was a test to see how it works, but I have enough of radiation passing through my body daily from cellular phones and I think I have had enough of wireless products for a day.

Until Bluetooth prices drop further, I don't think I will "Bluetoothsify" everything I am using, like connecting phones, PDA, mice, keyboards, etc. Will stick to corded products from now.

And yes, Kensington rocks! To hell with Logitech. They have no logic at all... their drivers for Mac sucks.

Originally posted by jasonh
Nokia's 7650 is a clunky disaster waiting to happen. I know, I tested the prototype during an MMS content production project.
Nokia's implementation of MMS is nasty. SonyEricsson's is much better. In the next 6 months we are going to see Nokia's share price fall slightly and Ericsson's rise, which is already starting tohappen.

That aside, I love what apple are doing with Bluetooth but will wait till they bring out a mouse of their own!

You are right about the Nokia phone. It uses first generation bluetooth chips and they cannot do almost everything. Ericcson, on the other hand, worked perfectly fine in the tested Bluetooth environment. This is a new phase of technology, like how USB was implemented during the release of the first Bondi iMac. We will see more of Bluetooth technology over the coming months, I believe. But with the bearish economy, things will most slowly.

IBM has already implemented BLuetooth in their mobile computing range of products, and I think Apple will definitely look at it closely. Waiting for the third generation of Bluetooth chips to come out before implementing them.

Back