Bluetooth mouse problem

matchbox

Registered
I have a Powerbook running Panther. I am using a bluetooth Microsoft mouse. The connection between the mouse and the laptop usually gets
lost whenver the Powerbook goes into power save mode. Any solutions?

do you have the most recent ms drivers? This doesn't sound correct to me. Maybe you should address this problem to ms or apple.

I dont know ANYTHING about the powerbook powersave mode....but I'm guessing there could be a setting for it? Such as "Shut down all external connections during power save mode".

Of course, I'm macless. Hope I somehow, unlikely-ly helped.

Are you using a built-in Bluetooth module, or a USB dongle-type one? If the case is the latter, then that's the reason -- the PowerBook will shut down the USB ports while it's sleeping, so you'd have to re-pair the device upon waking.

Remember kids, ElDiabloConCaca (tongue twister), does not mean you have to get your toolbox and physically fix the powerbook or mouse. Just have to pair the devices again.

Just felt liek reminding people, because I almost thought the worst.

My bluetooth mouse will NOT restart my Imac once it goes into sleep mode. The same goes for the bluetooth keyboard.

The solution I found is to briefly press the power button on the IMac.

This may seem silly, but I do not think Apple really considered the scenario of users having only bluetooth mouse/keyboard and the mac going into sleep mode.

aicul, ElDiablo asked a good question: do you have built-in bluetooth or are you using a usb dongle?
And trust me, apple considered ppl using bluetooth keyboard and mouse. So, something is definitely not right with your system or software.

Dongle, what dongle? who would buy a bluetooth dongle for an iMac? Alright, I wasn't clear on my setup. I have the built in stuff (whatever this is - I have the full option iMac).

Regardless, of dongle or no dongle, sleep mode should wake whenever a keyboard or mouse sends a wake signal. I leave the technology to Apple.

Actually, I was asking the starter of the thread whether he had a USB dongle or a built-in module, since it's his problem and he asked first. Once we get that resolved, then we can move on to the iMac problem. Don't hijack matchbox's thread.

I still don't understand what "My bluetooth mouse will NOT restart my Imac once it goes into sleep mode. The same goes for the bluetooth keyboard." means... Your mouse shouldn't be able to restart the computer, nor should the keyboard. If you meant "wake from sleep," then say "wake from sleep," not "restart the computer," which are extremely different things.

So, once again, matchbox: built-in or dongle?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Don't hijack matchbox's thread.

I think your terms are a little hard. I answered a direct question posed to me by Zammy-Sam. So the term Hijack is out of place.

Furthermore, if you need clarifications ask for them with a smile. It makes everyone feel happier. ;)

Ah, I apologize...

At any rate, what did you mean by, "my mouse nor my keyboard will restart my iMac?" That doesn't make sense to me. Did you actually mean "my mouse nor my keyboard will wake my machine?"

No I am using the builtin bluetooth.

I've checked the power save settings - there is no option having to do with shutting down bluetooth devices.

Another clue to this puzzle is that my Apple bluetooth keyboard works just fine - it stays connected to the Powerbook.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
what did you mean by, "my mouse nor my keyboard will restart my iMac?" That doesn't make sense to me. Did you actually mean "my mouse nor my keyboard will wake my machine?"

I am refering to the state where my iMac has a black screen and the little light on the bottom right of the screen is smoothly blinking on-and-off. It enters this state after not being used for some time (after the screen saver mode). I confirm that I did not use the "sleep" option to get to this point, just a matter of time (ie. long tel call).

Yep, that's sleeping.

So -- once it enters this state, it's impossible to wake it up with the keyboard or mouse? Have you tried pressing the power button on the machine once?

I did - and thats the only thing that will wake the "sleeping" iMac.

But that means I must reach for the iMac and find the button, etc. I use the wireless mouse/keyboard specifically to not have to be linked to the iMac. Access to my iMac is not that easy and the sides-back is even more difficult.

I was hoping the wireless mouse/keyboard would work like a TV remote which will switch the TV on at any time.

Can sleep mode be switched off? Is this sensible ?(technically speaking - as I don't really care for data security).

Back