Bluetooth not working with cell phone

Tom Caulfield

Registered
Purchased a Virgin Mobile cell phone called a "Super Slice". It has Bluetooth capability, which works just fine with the Bluetooth in me new Prius car. However I am unable to get it to communicate with my new Macbook, or my IMAC. The Macbook has Bluetooth installed natively. I purchased a BlueSoliel Blutooth adapter for the IMAC. The two Macs communicate seamlessly, trade files, with one another via Bluetooth. Both Macs have OS 10.4.10. The cell phone communicates seamlessly with the car. Is there any way to get the phone to communicate with the Macs? Both the Imac and the MacBook try to talk to the cell phone, but the connection just doesn't happen.
I have contacted Virgin Mobile's Tech Support. They responded that they are working on a fix for this problem. I.e. to get the phone to communicate with Macintosh computers, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I feel insulted that Virgin Mobile would only consider the Macintosh community as an ofterthought.
It occurred to me that some electronic Wizard out there just might have the answer to my dilemma. My cell phone has camara capability which got this whole thing started. I can't transfer my pictures from the camara to my Imac or MacBook via bluetooth so I can edit the pictures with Iphoto, etc...
The Macbook has Bluetooth Software version 1.9 OfB installed.
The IMAC has a BlueSoleil USB adapter with Bluetooth software v1.1,v1.2, v2.0 capability. The IMAC reports it is using Software v.1.7.14f14 using that adapter, go figure.
The cell phone is an Audiovox UTStarcom Super Slice CDM-1450 otherwise known as a Virgin Mobile "Super Slice". I don't know what version of Bluetooth it uses. The manual says it uses Bluetooth compatible with HSP and HFP.
I know, I know, it's not an Iphone, but i'm not sure an Iphone would be compatible with the Prius either....
Help.....

Look into an application called MissingSync. It allows you to Sync items natively with the Mac. I use it all the time to sync my Treo with bluetooth. Have you tried turning the bluetooth on and then off again on the phone? Does the phone even show up when you try and pair it under the bluetooth pane in system preferences?

You say the manual indicates that it's Bluetooth with HSP and HFP. That means it's compatible with a headset (HSP) and hands-free (HFP); there may be no other Bluetooth services available in the phone's profile, so it would therefore be unable to connect to the Mac (no file transfer capabilities). Unfortunately, carriers often cripple BT.

Back