Bluetooth ready PowerMac...?

In the Apple store for the new PowerMac, it says they are "Bluetooth ready", and says "with Apple's Bluetooth module..." does this mean that the module is made by apple and actually inside the computer (like airport extreme), or do you still have to plug it into the USB ports?

are you sure? they specifically say "bluetooth ready" in the specs, and technically with a USB module, any computer is 'bluetooth ready'. Also is this module made by Apple? It is not being sold in the store if it is

the 15" PB says "bluetooth ready" as well but doesnt have bluetooth built in. you need a dongle that plugs into your USB port.

the 12" and 17" PB have "bluetooth built-in."

yes, if it was built in, wouldnt it say "built-in?" the bluetooth on the new powerbooks isnt something you can remove like airport extreme. i dont think apple would make it any differently for the powermacs.

Check these out:

The PowerBook's bluetooth add-on:
PBBlue.jpg

The PowerMac's bluetooth add-on:
PMBlue.jpg

"Learn More" for the PowerBook:
PBBlueInfo.jpg

"Learn More" for the PowerMac:
PMBlueInfo.jpg

From MacCentral: (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0301/28.apple.php)
"Apple revved the high-end Power Mac to 1.42GHz, while adding FireWire 800 and internal support for 54Mbps AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth wireless networking. "

They might have just written it incorrectly but it sure sounds and looks like it's a different beast than the 12 & 15" PB's D-Link option.

interesting, i wonder where you plug it into?!?!

i still dont know why they don't use the term "built-in" like they do with AirPort when its included when in reality its still removeable.

oh well, i guess we'll see.

Well, I guess we have an answer to our questions...sort of.

The new 15" iMac is labeled "Bluetooth Capable" and when you go to buy it it has this option:
"The D-Link Bluetooth Adapter enables short-range wireless data connectivity between your iMac and Bluetooth enabled devices. The adapter is a USB device you connect to your iMac USB port."

The two 17" iMacs are "Bluetooth Ready" and "Bluetooth Built-in" and say this when you go to buy them:
"Apple's internal Bluetooth module fits completely inside the computer so there's nothing that sticks out or can break off and it's easy to secure. This module allows you to connect your iMac with your Bluetooth-enabled peripheral devices, such as mobile phones and PDAs wirelessly. Synchronize data or send files without using an inch of cable."

Since the PowerMac's are "Bluetooth Ready" and "Bluetooth Included" and list the module instead of the d-link as the option, that should mean it's internal, right?

But the weird thing is that the PowerMac info page says this:
"Interested in getting Bluetooth capability for your Power Mac G4? The easiest way to do it is to have the Bluetooth module built in at the time you order your system. If you decide after purchase that you want Bluetooth capability, you?ll need to get an external Bluetooth adapter."

Huh? So it's not like the built-in Airport card clot? Do they solder it on or something?

Also, if you go to the Apple Store's config page for the 17" iMac, go to Bluetooth, and click "more info", it gives a different description than going to the same link on the PowerMac config page. The PowerMac's Bluetooth Module has a longer (but just as useless hardwar-info-wise) description. I think this implies that they have 2 different modules, one for iMacs, one for PowerMacs

Originally posted by cclear
Powermac's and the new 15" iMac do not have internal bluetooth.. They just use the USB module

The iMac 15" says "Bluetooth Optional" and the add-on is the d-link adapter. On the other hand, the mid-range iMac 17" says "Bluetooth Ready" and the add-on is the bluetooth module. The high-end 17" says "Bluetooth built-in" and you can remove the bluetooth by deselcting the bluetooth module.

The lower-end Powermacs all say "Bluetooth Ready" (just like the mid-17" iMac) and have the add-on as "Bluetooth module" (just like both 17" iMacs).

A quick call to the Apple store just now produced a salesperson who looked it up for me and said that the documentation says it's an "internal bluetooth module" for the Powermacs. He could be wrong, of course, but I doubt it. Why would Apple manufacture what is clearly a different device than the d-link and then put the d-link on the 15" iMac and the bluetooth module on the 17" ones?

Sounds very cool to me! Internal bluetooth!

Now all mice manufacturers can sell wireless mice that will be cheaper (because they don't have to sell the base station), easier to use, less space consuming, don't make anything stick out of your computer that could get broken, stolen, or lost, that require absolutely no cords, plug-ins or anything! Very nice!

So when is Apple gonna release their bluetooth mouse? A recharging cradle like the Logitech MX700 and Kensington Studiomouse Wireless would make it perfect.

:) haha.. well, one of these days, we will walk up to the new powermac's and lift up their skirt so we will know!!

But just to keep this sillyness going :D

When you click on the 17" iMac "To Buy" and you click on the "Select" of the custom build..
Scroll to the Bluetooth and it says:
"Apple's internal Bluetooth module fits completely inside the computer so there's nothing that sticks out or can break off and it's easy to secure. This module allows you to connect your iMac with your Bluetooth-enabled peripheral devices, such as mobile phones and PDAs wirelessly. Synchronize data or send files without using an inch of cable. "
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...PP4uqAdW2Y/0.3.0.3.27.25.1.2.19.3.1.1.0?47,14

"Now if you go to the powermac, and look at the order page of that, scroll to bluetooth section and it says this:
"With Apple's Bluetooth technology you will be able to get to the Internet, synchronize data, or send files without needing an inch of cable. Connect with your Bluetooth-enabled peripheral devices, such as mobile phones and PDAs wirelessly."
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...u8079np9js/3.3.0.3.27.21.1.3.19.3.1.1.0?27,12

Sure seems to me that the powermac just uses a USB dongle thingy... :D

and why do you want a bluetooth mouse, that kensington studio wireless mouse looks SWEET all on it's own.. wireless and all and nice base station.. very nice..
http://www.kensington.com/html/1510.html

Yes, someday soon we will c clearly. :D

Bluetooth for mice is WAY better than a non-standards based option. As long as bluetooth has enough bandwidth, that is.

I bought and tried the Kensington Studiomouse Wireless for about 2 months. Then I sold it on eBay and got a Logitech MX700. I thought the Kensington's tracking was horrible.

I also tried a Targus Wireless Optical Mini Mouse. It was OK (tracking wasn't better but it was very small) but it wasn't any more convenient for using with a laptop than one of those wired mice with retractable cords because you had to carry the USB dongle around and plug it in every time you wanted to use the mouse.

The MX700 is incredible, but I don't know if bluetooth has the bandwidth for it.

A bluetooth Kensington would be better than a non-bluetooth Kensington because:
1. No USB cord to plug in from the docking station, just a power cord.
2. If you don't use the docking station idea (as most wireless mice don't) then there is nothing to plug in at all. The mouse just works. Very simple, very Apple-like.
3. No dongle or bulky docking station to carry around for laptop users. Just put the mouse in the cradle overnight at home (or just change the batteries) every few weeks when the battery gets low.
4. More choice and better prices for consumers: it will be much, much easier for any company to get in the wireless mouse market if they don't have to develop and work with a proprietary wireless system, like they would have to without bluetooth. Not only will this mean more and cheaper wireless mice, it will mean more and cheaper alternative input devices. Cool!

Well, that's enough reason for me! ;) :)

lol! :D I'm glad I sold you on it cclear! I hope we see some devices pretty soon! :)

I found somebody who says that they just bought a FW800 1.25GHz PowerMac and this is what they said about the bluetooth module:

This is kind of annoying. If you buy the Mac directly from Apple with Bluetooth installed, it is internal. However, they will not sell you the internal module after the fact, so you have to use an external USB dongle. I of course didn't realize this and purchased a dual 1.25 from a local dealer (which of course was the standard config without the bluetooth module.) I submitted feedback to Apple that I would really like to be able to add internal bluetooth to get rid of the external dongle..

Here is a (blurry) pic of where the module goes:
http://cargeek.net/gallery/macpics/abi

It's the little socket with a blue wire nearby on the far right corner of the mb.

Oh, and I think the usb module that Apple will sell you for ~$50 has the same internals as the d-link bluetooth dongle.

If he's telling the truth and is correct then I am confused. Why wouldn't Apple want to sell the internal bluetooth module? They do sell Airport cards that you can internally install. I wonder if they have some clause in some contract with D-Link and aren't allowed to sell a competing product for a while or something. That might explain it. Hmmm... :confused:

Back