Bogus PC site

Anim8r

Registered
A while back there was a site that was advertising PCs and laptops and displays with totally ridiculous specs.
I can't remember what the site was but it had a design very reminiscent of OSX.
Now there is this site:
http://www.go-l.com/store/index.htm

and I think it may be the same group.

Does anyone remember what the site/company/frackas was about?

Thanks

That company is actually real. My father-and-law called them about getting a system. He asked them who they compete against, like Sony or whatever. They responded, their only competitor is Apple. Even though, they don't sell Macs. Of course, judging by their site... that is the case.

The handy colour LCD display on the front of the case lets you see how hot your overclocked PC processor is getting and how long its been since it last came crashing to a halt.

It also looks crazy-wikked. ;-)

Anim8r said:
A while back there was a site that was advertising PCs and laptops and displays with totally ridiculous specs.
These are the same people. It is not that their website looked like MacOS X, it is that their website looked an awful lot like Apple.com. Their product line was setup to look like Apple's to the unobservant browser. Their website in its current iteration looks a little less like Apple.com, but the "inspiration" is clearly evident.

Funny thing is I find this site easier to navigate through then Apple's. Go figure. Anyway, has anyone actually found a price on these Machines? I'm curious to what they are charging but I can't find that info.

I could see this being useful as a server without the use of a monitor since it's all built in, but it still is rather small (the screen that is).

Hm. I find these "wikked crazy" PCs are like hot rods or other "pimped" cars. You can make them blink and beep and whatever: But do they get the job done more quickly? Do they feel comfortable? I guess I'd take a Maybach over a "wikked crazy" Honda Civic any day.

Reality said:
Funny thing is I find this site easier to navigate through then Apple's.
Maybe because they have 1/100th the content, and it takes a grand total of 3 minutes to visit every single page on their site?
Anyway, has anyone actually found a price on these Machines? I'm curious to what they are charging but I can't find that info.
I could not find a single price on their site, either. I'd like to speak with someone who has actually ordered and received a product from them.

How the hell do I order a computer from them? Call them? How 1980s. Email them? How early 1990s. You can't claim to compete with Apple, a company on the bleeding edge of technology and design, and not have even the dinkiest online order form. Good luck staying in business, guys (or even producing a product, for that matter)!

When I first saw this site over a year ago, I immediately thought it was a hoax. Everything about it screamed hoax. So I made a bet with my coworker. We called them and started placing an order. We were on the phone for an hour going over details. We took it all the way to the end, eventually providing a fake credit card number and contact info. Needless to say, we didn't get our order.

I Googled them at the time and there was much speculation about them. They appeared on hoax sites even, yet it seems they are indeed real.

I once pulled the HTML down and looked at it and it was not only kind of like Apple.com, it WAS Apple.com! There were comments and such that were directly from Apple.com (I pulled both sources). I think they've since cleaned it up a bit to be not so obvious. (Anyone remember "Startrek", when Microsoft stole Apple's early Quicktime code and forgot to take out the comments--or something like that?).

Anyway, I still don't know anyone that has ordered from them, but I can't disprove it as real, so I have to concede it is.

Actually, I think, StarTrek was the code name for a project to bring System 7 to X86 processors.

Star Trek was the codename for the project that would bring the old Mac OS (which at the time was new and shiny :p) to Intel's chips at the time (Apple was using Motorola's 680x0 series of processors...before the PowerPC). The rumor is that Apple actually had a working Mac OS on an i486 computer. No one other than those in the high echelons of Apple have seen this computer running the Mac OS.

MisterMe said:
IIRC, Star Trek dates back to the i386.

Quite possible....I had read an article where they stated a 486 however. Don't know which is actually true. TO THE WIKIPEDIA!!!! :p

Maximum PC asked people if they ever bought one of their PC's. Turned out no one responded... I think the company is bogus.

Does anyone know of anyone who bought their computer and actually saw it?

For all I know, it's a fake. Always was a fake, always will be a fake. Until either someone shows up at my doorstep to show me the hardware (even that would be kinda creepy and still reek of a fake) or I see other people using that hardware _somewhere_. I mean: Their site is better for navigating? Yeah, right. Go to store. Choose something. Try to find ANYwhere to order...?! You get to spec-pages etc., but never to a page where you can actually choose what you want to order or even an order-page with a submit button! Fake, fake, fake.

Back