Bonjour Printing problems

Techmuppet

Registered
I am a non-techy type so forgive what may be a stupid question. How do you know if you have Bonjour on your Mac? Do you have to turn it on? Is it always there? In Print preferences, I get no Bonjour connection list, is that right?

I'm trying to print to a network printer, and although the imac and printer are both attached by ethernet cable to a wireless router it will only print if I attache directly with a usb cable.

This is really strange cos I have just changed router and previously the printer was connected to the router by ethernet but the imac connected wirelessly to the router and I could print. Can anyone offer any suggestions? PLEASE!!

Bonjour is not something that you add in or turn on. It has been part of MacOS X since at least MacOS X 10.3 when it was called Rendezvous.

Whenever asking for help with a peripheral, you should give the model and manufacturer of the peripheral. With no information about your printer, my guess is that you are trying to use a USB driver to communicate with it over Ethernet. No can do. You must install a CUPS driver for your printer to communicate with it over the network. There are countless threads about CUPS on this forum. Search it for the help that you need.

Thanks MisterMe. I'll research CUPS and see if I can sort it. One question more though, based on what I have read about Bonjour, shouldn't it see the printer even if I haven't got the right drivers? The printer is a relatively new HP Laserjet 2605dn.

First of all thanks for trying to help.

Did you install the HP drivers?

Yes I did, but can no longer find them, should they show up in applications?

Plus did you setup IP printing for networking to the printer?

I don't know what you mean by this? I guess IP is internet protocol or something, but how do you set it up? When I go into preferences > printing > and press the "+" to add a printer I get a panel with Default, Fax, IP, Windows, Bluetooth, Appletalk and More Printers. If I select IP there are 3 options in a protocol box IPP, Daemon and HP Jet Direct Socket .

... The printer is a relatively new HP Laserjet 2605dn.
My department has a printer in this family. You are correct in that Bonjour printers are supposed to be visible whether or not you have the correct driver. However, HP sees things differently. As Satcomer suggested, you must download and install HP's driver. Setup will then be a snap, but not necessary. The LaserJet will automatically appear in the Bonjour drop-down printer list.

MisterMe and satcomer. Thanks for your help.
Now have my printer working. However, still dont get any Bonjour Printer list!

Used the instructions at the link satcomer sent and had to use the IP option for adding printers and type in the host name I got from the printer's "Network Report".

Still confused about Bonjour but the printer's working, so I'm happy and much appreciate your help.

Back