Boot Camp issue

JGus

Registered
Hello everyone, having an issue here that I have been unable to solve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am attempting to get Windows up and running on my August 2006-purchased Intel dual core Mac, via Boot Camp. I have installed and used Windows on this mac two times before successfully using Boot Camp, but since the last time my hard drive broke, and since then:

-I had a non-apple brand hard drive (WD 2TB 5400 rpm) installed internally as a replacement
-I upgraded from OSX 10.5 to 10.6

Now, when I attempt to use the Boot Camp Assistant utility my computer believes that the hard drive was partitioned successfully, but then I am unable to install Windows after that. I get stuck at the Windows installation phase; the inability to succeed at this stage is characterized as such--

-When I click "start installation" in the Boot Camp Assistant, I always get an "installer disc cannot be found" message. I have attempted to use two different Windows install CDs--one is a burned copy of a .NRG (nero disc image file format) of Windows XP Pro Student Edition (using service pack 2; no WGA required) that I know I used successfully for this purpose the second time I successfully installed Windows using Boot Camp, before my HD broke. The second one is of a .ISO file that I downloaded after the 1st one didn't work, which is similar to the first--it's Windows XP Pro Corporate Edition (using service pack 2, no WGA required). Both of these were burned using Roxio Toast 10 Titanium as a 9660 ISO.
-When I restart the computer and hold down the option/apple key (using a logitech USB keyboard atm) after Boot Camp Assistant claims to have successfully partitioned the drive, there is only one hard drive partition from which I can boot. I don't remember if it was like this last time I had Boot Camp'd Windows, but I seem to remember even before having Windows installed, the partition would be recognized at this stage of boot-up, which leads me to question whether the replacement HD has even been partitioned successfully.

Thanks for your time.

I don't have any way to verify this, but I have heard that the 10.6.6 update, and Boot Camp, no longer supports a new install of Windows XP, and that the drivers that are available for download are only for Vista or Win7.

You won't see the partition that boot camp creates, unless you open Disk Utility, or some other utility that allows you to see all active partitions. The Option-boot screen will not show partitions that don't have a bootable system yet.

thank you for your information, Delta Mac.

Disk Utility does indeed recognize the partition, so that's good.

It seems strange that the information regarding which versions of Windows are supported by which versions of Boot Camp isn't readily available. I've been searching around and finding pages like this http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/17/mac-os-x-10-6-6-introduces-subtle-changes-to-boot-camp/ that agree with your claim, but then if you look in the comments a lot of people seem to be claiming that they have no problem installing XP still. From what I can gather, your claim is true for Boot Camp version 3.0.4, but I (and many others, despite being up to date using software update) am still using 3.0.2, which gives the message that it supports XP.

So--other people who have the same OSX and boot camp version as I are still able to install XP, and yet I cannot.

What version of OS X do you have now?
Do you have the OS X installer DVD for that? (the Boot Camp drivers will be on that OS X installer DVD, unless you have only the original restore DVD, and if you are still running that original 10.4 (Tiger) on your Mac. You won't likely get Boot Camp working if you still have that generation of OS X installed.

Finally, what version of Windows do you want to install? You'll need a full install CD, and not a Windows upgrade CD...

You said that you are 'attempting' the install... What have you done so far?

Back