Boot Camp - Slow Startup

You didn't post the difference in timing if you boot into OS X. If the wireless network picker is the culprit, then the long lag time should also be into OS X, right?
15 seconds into OS X vs 66 seconds into Windows.

Can you connect only with Ethernet, leaving wireless turned off?
No, Ethernet is not an option for this location.

Do you really have a large number of wireless networks that your wireless card can see?
I can see 6 networks right now and it can vary from a minimum of 5 up to 8 at any given time.

Doesn't seem to be much different than my experience with the difference between an OS X boot, and a Windows boot.
If you ask Apple engineering again - you may want to know why the Option-boot (if the problem is a lot of wireless network) why the difference between OS X and Windows.
I have anywhere from 6 to 20 wireless networks visible from my location, and doesn't seem to affect a Windows boot. I get closer to 30 seconds, if I wipe and install Windows, but the timing continues to get slower to around a minute after a few uses.
Yours doesn't seem too far out of normal, at least in my experience.
My timing here (MacBook, 4GB, 250GB HD with 60GB Windows XP Pro partition) shows about 15 seconds for OS X, and about 60 seconds to a usable Windows system.
note - goes to the Windows start icon within about 10 seconds at the most....

Doesn't seem to be much different than my experience with the difference between an OS X boot.
No the big difference is when I take the Mac to the Genius Bar it takes 7 seconds to start booting Windows and at home it takes 40 seconds. Absolutely identical setup, the only difference is the environment, ie. number of wifi networks visible.

I have anywhere from 6 to 20 wireless networks visible from my location, and doesn't seem to affect a Windows boot..
No it wouldn't affect you because you're using a MacBook and they aren't affected. This only relates to newer Minis and the Air.

Thanks Satcomer but I think I'm narrowing this down now.

I took the Mini to an Applestore Genius Bar and when we started it up there it was fast and started loading Windows in 7 seconds as against 40 seconds before. Bring it home and it's taking 40 seconds again.

The only difference that I can see is that at the shop the Airport bar on the lower part of the screen doesn't show up. And on the demonstrations that I have seen and the YouTube videos I have seen this is not there either.

So I suppose the question now is:-

Why is the Airport network bar coming up at home and not elsewhere and how do I stop it?

Hello aaphid. I saw that you posted your problem in a few other boards. I'm facing the same issue with both my MBP. Did you find a solution to your problem?
Thank you.

Did you find a solution to your problem?

Hi

Yes I did eventually get an answer but unfortunately not the fix I was looking for.

The answer is at the bottom of this thread...
http://bit.ly/aBleNw

I see that you're using a MBP and in theory they aren't supposed to be affected.

Anyhow the fix in the end for me is use VirtualBox and make it perform the way I want. In most ways it's actually a lot more convenient than BootCamp. And it's free!
http://www.virtualbox.org/

Back