Boot camp wont partition.

dp17

Registered
i was trying to create a partition for boot camp with use in leopard. i selected 5gb to use for windows but when i clicked on partition it gave me the message "the disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved." i have been reading all ove the internet about this and i have already tried using idefrag. i have defraged my mac like 4 times and each time have removed a couple gigs worth of movies, but i still cant seem to get enough space to make the error message go away when i try boot camp again. i have considered reinstalling OSX after backing up my time machine but im kind of nervous about doing that because im not exactly sure how to restore the mac with my backup drive with time machine. im sure how to use disk utility so some instructions in a response would be very helpful. i know that this has been a problem for quite some time with different people so hopefully there will be a lot of help you can provide me with. thanks

I can tell you one thing for sure, 5GB for a bootcamp partition is not nearly enough. If that's all you have to spare no wonder you're having issues. Why erase and restore from a Time Machine backup? To take off all of data and put it all back on the drive again? Do you know how much free Hard drive space you have? If you click on the Hard drive icon on the desktop, then press the command key + i this will get info on the HD and tell you how much free space you have available.

actually i just backed up my hard drive and reinstalled OS X from a clean slate. that fixed everything. but you have to make sure that you entirely erase your old harddrive when reinstalling osx.

I got 137 Gigs free. I tryed using 20, 25 and 32 gigs to partition, but got the error message like dp17 got.

Boot with the OS X install disk and run Disk Utility and fix the errors on your hard disk. This cause the most problem with Boot Camp.

Back