Boot camp XP wireless keyboard prob

pawel

Registered
Hi guys wonder if you can help me.

I managed to get boot camp installed and now everything appears to be just fine. I have installed all the mac drivers including the bluetooth drivers.

It has located and connected both my wireless mighty mouse and wireless keyboard. The only trouble I have is when I restart it recognises my mouse and it works straight away but not my keyboard, although they both say they are connected in the bluetooth window. The only way I can get the keyboard to work is to switch of the switch at the back, switch back on and leave it a while then it works.

Any advice about this?

I have heard for some time that Windows does not have a good grasp on the Bluetooth technology, compared to OS X, so you may just get to put up with a Windows strangeness. But, -
Replace the batteries in the keyboard, in case those batteries are marginal
Make sure you have the latest version of Boot Camp, which is 1.1.2
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bootcamp.html
If you do need to update Boot Camp, be sure to burn a new drivers CD, and
Re-install the Apple drivers, even if you don't update Boot Camp.

I have heard for some time that Windows does not have a good grasp on the Bluetooth technology, compared to OS X, so you may just get to put up with a Windows strangeness. But, -
Replace the batteries in the keyboard, in case those batteries are marginal
Make sure you have the latest version of Boot Camp, which is 1.1.2
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bootcamp.html
If you do need to update Boot Camp, be sure to burn a new drivers CD, and
Re-install the Apple drivers, even if you don't update Boot Camp.

Cheers I am totally up-to-date with drivers and boot camp so looks lkes it's just a prob with MS :(

If anyone else knows of what the problem might be would appreciate it, if not I guess thats what you have to put up with if you wanna use windows :mad:

Hi Pawel,

I had exactly the same issue. Then I re-read Apple's article Boot Camp Beta 1.0.2: Using the Apple Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard and found this:

Important: Do not use a blank or empty passkey! Windows XP will pair with the keyboard, but the keyboard will not work.

So I did the following:
- boot into Microsoft Windows
- open the Control Panel and select Bluetooth Devices
- select the wireless keyboard and click Remove
- click Add... and select the wireless keyboard
- choose an authentication method using any passkey, e.g. 123

Your wireless keyboard should now be recognized by Windows.

Let me know if this helps
Cheers
teedeepee

Please help, my window doesn't show the page where I can set the passkey. Anyone has an idea how to fix this? I don't want to throw the keyboard away

Many thanks

I'm having issues as well with my wireless keyboard...

I'm running on a Mac Pro, with Bootcamp 1.1.2.

First thing to note, when you install the Mac Drivers, you lose your keyboard and mouse during the installation. I had to connect a USB keyboard and mouse to complete the installation and then manually add the bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

The issue I'm having with the keyboard is that although I can add a keyboard, it seems the passkey exchange process is not working correctly. What happens is that no matter which passkey exchange option I choose, when Windows connects with the keyboard, it automatically steps past the part where you type in the passkey on the wireless keyboard. In other words, I have no opportunity to type in the passkey on the wireless keyboard, Windows just seems to bypass this and say the keyboard is connected.

Now the keyboard connects and works probably 50% of the time, when it does it says connected with no passkey in the Bluetooth device list. Works fine up until I reboot, at which point I have to connect a USB keyboard to log in and delete and re-add the keyboard...

I'm having the same problem mixja. I've tried updating the Apple Bluetooth drivers with BthKicker (in the Mac Drivers for Windows folder), and then adding the keyboard again, but to no avail. After assigning a passkey it changes to 'no pass key' after a few seconds.

Anyone suggest a way to solve the problem?

Many thanks,

Lee

Same issue occurs in Vista.

For now I have elected not to install the Bluetooth drivers, which means the keyboard and mouse just act as generic HID devices. Seems to work OK except the CD eject and volume keys don't work, but I can live with that. Also the scroll tracker on the Mighty Mouse doesn't work, but at least right-click works 100% in Vista (with the mighty mouse configured as a HID device in XP, right-click was very flaky).

Once Leopard comes out, hopefully Apple will address these issues.

Does anyone know who manufacturers the Bluetooth module for the Macs? I was thinking of trying the OEM vendor's Windows drivers if they exist...

Hi Pawel,

I had exactly the same issue. Then I re-read Apple's article Boot Camp Beta 1.0.2: Using the Apple Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard and found this:

So I did the following:
- boot into Microsoft Windows
- open the Control Panel and select Bluetooth Devices
- select the wireless keyboard and click Remove
- click Add... and select the wireless keyboard
- choose an authentication method using any passkey, e.g. 123

Your wireless keyboard should now be recognized by Windows.

Let me know if this helps
Cheers
teedeepee
I am new to my wife's new IMAC but I loaded up Boot Camp and managed to get WindowsXP running after several missteps and one inadequate Mac Drivers CD. Before I read this post I selected blank or empty pass key when I added the wireless Mac keyboard. It doesn't respond and it can't be found in device manager under bluetooth devices. Therefore, I can't remove, reinstall and reset the pass key.
On one of my aborted attempts to run windows after using a damaged Mac Driver CD, the keyboard actually worked wirelessly. After reloading, I lost it and made the wrong choice on the pass key.
Can anyone help me with a suggestion? I need to reset the pass key or reinstall the keyboard, right???

very strange. I could not get my small flat wireless apple keyboard to work in bootcamp on eith mine or my girlfriend's imacs. I was however doing some things wrong. 1st i was not typing in the confirmation number on the keyboard ooops. windows only gives you 5 seconds do do this. but sometimes windows was not giving me this opportunity. I experimented with using the same passkey as i did for osx and that worked on my gf's machine. but for some reason i had to select no passkey on mine to get it to work. strange and bamboozling.

Back