Boot Issue

skull

Registered
Hi friends,

I have macbook 4.1 having Lion (i know its quite old) from past 2 days unable to cold boot (after shutdown and switching on after sometime) i get blank screen no chime sound but start light is on and remains steady, left in on for almost 2hrs but nothing happened.
But then i shutdown it forcefully holding power button and switch on again it was working fine. And this is happening every time switch on cold boot. :(

even tried safe mode but no success

as its old mac so service centre will not be of any help too.

Any solutions or what is reason for this issue ????

That type of booting problem can often be fixed by reseating the RAM memory sticks.
I would swap the sticks between the slots. When you re-insert the sticks, you need a very firm push to seat them properly.

You have to pull out the battery to get at the memory sticks, so before you replace the battery, press and hold the power button for 5 seconds, then re-insert the battery. That will reset the power manager, which could be giving you problems.
Plug the power adapter back in, then reset the PRAM as you restart, by holding the Option-Command-P and R keys. You'll hear the boot chime sound, so keep holding those same 4 keys until you hear the chime 2 more times, then release the keys to let your MacBook boot normally.

How much RAM memory is installed in your MacBook now?

reset the PRAM as you restart, by holding the Option-Command-P and R keys. You'll hear the boot chime sound, so keep holding those same 4 keys until you hear the chime 2 more times, then release the keys to let your MacBook boot normally.

How much RAM memory is installed in your MacBook now?

When should i plug the power adpater and press 4 keys as u said insert battery and switch it on.

I have 2gb only

read my post again.
The power manager reset is done while the battery is OUT, and the power adapter is removed. Just press and hold the power button for 5 seconds. That does not turn on power (battery and power adapter are both not connected, remember?) Then, release the power button.
Then, put battery back in, and connect the power adapter, and THEN do the PRAM reset.

As a suggestion, you will see some improvement in the performance of your MacBook if you upgrade the RAM. You have 2 GB, each 1GB stick can be replaced with 2GB, to give you 4 GB. You can even replace one of those sticks with a 4GB stick, added to a 2GB stick, to give you a maximum of 6GB.

I would not pretend to say that will absolutely fix your problem!
It _may_ help, and should be something that you should try.

Back