Boot SNOW leopard 10.6 Installer via DVD

ABJ10

Registered
Greetings!

I have a intel macbook which had tiger earlier and a optical drive that conked.

I wanted to install SL 10.6 on the machine and as i went about clean installing i happened to erase the whole volume MACINTOSH HD, therefore no MAC platform; leaving thereby only the Bootcamp XP platform which i updated with the SL bootcamp drivers(version 3). The installation earlier didnt go further as it said "SL requires 10.5 already installed".

However iam sure it can be installed if its erased and done, as seen in about.com n several other forums.

Now without macos iam not able to use startup Disk to boot from DVD external. the XP doesnt show DVD installer in its bootcamp control panel. Pressing the Option key on power up shows only windows disk.

i only have a external DVD slim USB drive, and i reckon it may need "refit" and its likes which may need macos?; however is it possible to somehow boot from this DVD in the external Drive ..

Alternatively is there a way i format the whole disk (all partitions) and boot using the DVD on teh external drive so that i can install SL10.6 and other bootcamp fro Windows ?

Your suggestion at the earliest will be appreciated.

Regards

@djacmac

Sorry, for this.. but the posting i did in 2 forums as they were directly linked.. however later admin seems to have moved the posting to this one single thread.

Sorry once again.

It seems like you have a bum optical drive on top of all the other problems. If you could boot to the installer you could go to disk utility to repartition the drive and get rid of the boot camp volume. After that you should be able to load 10.6. Try booting from the C key to get the machine to directly boot to the installer and see if that gets you any further.

yes teh optical drive seems Bummer.

I tried Using C & option key on startup when teh USB DVD drive is connected to t system on startup. Initially with SL DVD it does show the INSTALL DVD (when "OPTION" pressed not when C pressed) C key doesnt seem to be working ; it seems like it does read the Drive but for some reason it probably ignores and presents WINDOWS volume alone.. therefore it goes only to that..

Whne the Install DVD & Windows volume is showing using Option key; and i press Install DVD icon the gray screen with teh startup manager just FREEZE for around 10 minutes or so.. and then it logs into XP itself..

Therefore i thought i should probably try booting from XP SP2 Installer and erase teh whole DISK , or format the whole hard disk ..and then use SL DVD. However Windows XP INSTALL CD doesnt show up with neither "optio" or C key..

My XP CD is a copy of a full cd that i made from the installer of a PC. this CD doesnt have a image .. i.e; The cd drive volue shows the box icon "XPOEM_EN" and exploring the drive shows some 4 folders (components, support, doc, i386, Xp_extra and few other exe files) what iam asking you is does this mean this is a bootable Disk .. i presume it is a Bootable disk.

Anyway.. i suppose its because its a USB external Drive it is probably not showing or Booting up.. ALAS..

If ur mind cracks up an eureka moment to get around this, pls lemme Know

If your Snow Leopard disc tells you it can only be installed if 10.5 is present, then that disc came with a Mac that was produced _just_ before 10.6 came out but sold with an upgrade DVD. So it came with a Mac that had 10.5 preinstalled. This disc can therefore only be used with a Mac that has 10.5 installed.

If you only had 10.4 before, you'll need the MacBoxSet, legally, since the Snow Leopard disc 10.6 that retails for 29 USD is for owners of 10.5 only, although that _technically_ doesn't have the same restriction as the upgrade DVD you have there.

@Fryke;

The SL 10.6 DVD is what was bought separately. It thoroughly works and was not Bundled as u suggested.

THE UPDATE OF the PROBLEM:

Maybe USB DVD drive probably does not SUpport BOOTING as i tried with just the Windows PArtition left (mach HD ERASED) now the problem is that no SL DVD or WIN XP CD or TIGER CD boots from the USB DRIVE..

what is the problem.. should i have a FIREWIRE enabled DVD drive instead.. If even this doesnt work then only a external HDD will be the option or a TARGET disk mode wth another MAC.

Please people do post your response or solutions...

Regards

@Satcomer.

I tried teh instructions from tHis site only.. please read the 1st post carefully..

WHile i was trying clean install.. (at erase stage , it showed I need 10.5) but thats not the case.. i need to erase teh whole drive n then boot and install maybe.

Back