Boot stalls-waiting for application services

MtnBiker

Registered
After installing new software, and upon rebooting (restarting) I get part way throught the startup and the startup stalls on the message "waiting for application services." I assume some "prefs" file is corrupted or something. Any ideas on how to overcome this? This occurs on another hard drive on the computer I'm on now, so not hardware problem.

This happened once before and I erased the disk and started over, but I want to use the system on that hard drive.

OS X 10.2.6

Thanks for any suggestions.

It seems that this "new software" screwed something up. First, open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder and Repair Permissions. if that doesn't wotk you might want to check if this software is compatable with 10.2.6. By the way, what was the software? Beta? Alpha?

I ran DiskUtility both to repair disk and permissions. Lots of things supposedly fixed, but still same problem

So after reading on another forum, I tried single user mode & fsck and first time got message Appears OK.

So following other postings I looked at system.log which I'll paste at the end. i'm not sure where to start with this although I see some apparent errors. I should note that 127.0.0.1 works fine from my the working system drive I'm on now. You can see it at KeepTheRubberSideDown.DOT.com/ This is a site for friends, but nothing scandalous there and is actually on a third drive. I had earlier changed out the httpf.conf for the default one figuring it might have been corrupted. Same problem although i didn't check the log then.

From the log I stripped the time and date, and name of computer to save space.

Thanks for any help.

from /var/log/system.log

syslogd: restart
mach_kernel: standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
mach_kernel: vm_page_bootstrap: 189401 free pages
mach_kernel: mig_table_max_displ = 64
mach_kernel: COLOR video console at 0x9c008000 (1280x1024x32)
mach_kernel: IOKit Component Version 6.6:
mach_kernel: Thu May 1 21:45:00 PDT 2003; root(rcbuilder):RELEASE_PPC/iokit/RELEASE
mach_kernel: _cppInit done
mach_kernel: IODeviceTreeSupport done
mach_kernel: Recording startup extensions.
mach_kernel: Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
mach_kernel: The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
mach_kernel:
mach_kernel: using 1966 buffer headers and 1966 cluster IO buffer headers
mach_kernel: we have cy2213
mach_kernel: USBF: 23. 89 [0x24ef400] USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0x1b)
mach_kernel: USBF: 23. 90 [0x24ef600] USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0x1b)
mach_kernel: USBF: 23. 91 [0x24ef200] USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0x14)
mach_kernel: Local FireWire GUID = 0x393ff:0xfec9e9f4
mach_kernel: USBF: 23.319 [0x24ef000] USB Generic Hub @ 2 (0x1100000)
mach_kernel: devfs enabled
mach_kernel: IOKitBSDInit
mach_kernel: From path: "/pci@f4000000/ata-6@D/@0:2,\mach_kernel", Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOPathMatch</key><string ID="1">IODeviceTree:/pci@f4000000/ata-6@D/@0:2</string></dict>
mach_kernel: Got boot device = IOService:/MacRISC2PE/pci@f4000000/AppleMacRiscPCI/ata-6@D/AppleKauaiATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/ST380024A Media/IOApplePartitionScheme/Macintosh HD@2
mach_kernel: BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 4
mach_kernel: devfs on /dev
mach_kernel: USBF: 24.167 AppleUSBKeyboard[0x25c4800]::start USB Generic Keyboard @ 3 (0x1110000)
mach_kernel: Jettisoning kernel linker.
mach_kernel: Resetting IOCatalogue.
mach_kernel: ATIRadeon8500: using AGP
mach_kernel: AppleCPUThermo couldn't parse platform functions
mach_kernel: USBF: 46.599 AppleUSBProKbd[0x2650900]::start AppleUSBProKeyboard @ 3 (0x1110000)
mach_kernel: UniNEnet: Ethernet address 00:03:93:c9:e9:f4
mach_kernel: UniNEnet::monitorLinkStatus - Link is up at 10 Mbps - Half Duplex
mach_kernel:
ATY,Rage128v: vram [86000000:01000000]
mach_kernel: ATY,Pheonix_A: vram [9c000000:04000000]
mach_kernel: ATY,Pheonix_B: vram [98000000:04000000]
mDNSResponder[252]: mDNSResponder (04/02/03 09:12:59) starting
ConsoleMessage: Starting port mapper
ConsoleMessage: Starting NetInfo
netinfod local[288]: file_init failed: Remote system error
netinfod local[288]: ni_init failed: Remote system error
netinfod local[288]: start_service failed: Remote system error - exiting
nibindd[287]: netinfod local [288] exited 14
ConsoleMessage: Starting Directory Services
lookupd: NetInfo connection failed for server 127.0.0.1/local
last message repeated 3 times
lookupd[293]: lookupd (version 272.1) starting - Sun Jun 22 10:23:13 2003
lookupd[293]: NetInfo connection failed for server 127.0.0.1/local
ConsoleMessage: Loading IP Firewall extension
mach_kernel: IP packet filtering initialized, divert enabled, rule-based forwarding enabled, default to accept, logging disabled
mach_kernel: IP firewall loaded
configd[118]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Resources/restart-NetInfo
configd[118]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Resources/set-hostname

Originally posted by MtnBiker
After installing new software, and upon rebooting (restarting) I get part way throught the startup and the startup stalls on the message "waiting for application services." I assume some "prefs" file is corrupted or something. Any ideas on how to overcome this? This occurs on another hard drive on the computer I'm on now, so not hardware problem.

This happened once before and I erased the disk and started over, but I want to use the system on that hard drive.

OS X 10.2.6

Thanks for any suggestions.

The problem appears to be your Netinfo database.

Wade

Originally posted by wadesworld
The problem appears to be your Netinfo database.

Wade

We're getting somewhere. Now how do I deal with the problem?

What little I know about Netinfo is that it deals with permissions. I've redone them several times with Disk Utility, so it will take more than that. I launched Netinfor Manager and don't see how to make it look at the other system. My feeling is that it is only dealing with the boot volume.

What do you suggest? Can I move the file out of the way or??

Originally posted by wadesworld
This article appears to point to the problem.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article2...mous|11906871&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com:80/

Have you been messing with directories?

Wade

Not intentionally and not unintentionally AFAIK, but I do have a Netgear router and my website hosted from my computer is on another drive, so that relates to what the article says. I'll have to study the article and look at the log again to see if I can see a relationship. I had earlier suspected that that might be a problem and changed the httpd.conf to the default and it didn't help.

I'll try to think this through. I ahve more than a delay though, I've let it go half an hour and it stays stalled.

Thanks

Back