Bootable ISO?

jack_pot

Registered
I\'ve got a dmg of a bootable linux image that I converted to .CDR with disk utility. I then changed the extension to .ISO and moved the image to my windows PC to burn (it\'s a large image and i don\'t have a dvd burner on my powermac). It burns just fine with Nero and I can read it in my mac, but I can\'t get my mac to boot from it. I used holding \"c\" at boot, \"alt\" at boot, even system startup disk but to no avail. I\'ve read some stuff about \"blessing\" some system files, but I\'m not sure what that entails. Thanks for the help.

What are the specifications of the Mac you want to install Linux to?

What distribution of Linux are you attempting to install?

Is this a PowerPC version of the distribution (if they have one)?

it's actually with any iso I try to burn. None come out bootable when they should be. I'm wondering if I lost the bootable property during the conversion somewhere. If so, how should I go about bringing it back?

I find when I burn my ISO's with MagicISO I don't have any problems. Nero would sometimes do things on its own.

It sounds to me like either you are loosing something by converting the image, or that your burning software is doing something wierd.

Why not download an ISO image from the web site onto your burner computer directly? Many PPC nix distros I've seen do have ISO images instead of DMG (which actually I've never seen).

that's actually what I'm suspecting. You're downloading an ISO, and instead of just renaming it .iso you first "convert" it into something else. I think you're just doing a step too much here...

Problem workaround:

borrowed an external dvd burner, downloaded and applied patchburn, burned dmg, now boots. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back