Bootable SATA Card

loom001

Registered
I am thinking of switching my G4 over to SATA. Does anyone know of a good SATA card that wouldn't break the bank? I am looking for one that will be easy to boot from. I am currently running OSX 10.3.9 on my G4, but someday I will upgrade to Tiger so I would like it to support both OSes.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

loom001 said:
I am thinking of switching my G4 over to SATA. Does anyone know of a good SATA card that wouldn't break the bank? I am looking for one that will be easy to boot from. I am currently running OSX 10.3.9 on my G4, but someday I will upgrade to Tiger so I would like it to support both OSes.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I have no experience with external cards but I did see an article at Barefeats about one card with other card links at the bottom of the page. This may help.

Just wondering how well the Sonnet card worked for you? What sort of transfer rates do you get? Is it really faster than PATA, normal IDE as with an ATA133 card?

This whole thing came up for me when I picked up two 500GB Hitachi SATA-II drives, made june 2006, for $300 from Craigslist. I've got a B&W G3 and have become disenchanted with its disk I/O speed. I know it'll never be a G5 ;-) but I thought some nice modern disks would wake it up quite a bit, plus they're new/modern/big enough to be worthwhile to move with me to a newer box.

Back