"BootCamp is LAME" - Venkat Pullena

spitty27

Apple Avid
I don't know if any of you saw this article recently, but it irritated me almost as much as the one Jorge Lopez wrote about the Mac Mini last year. Venkat Pullena wrote an article on BootCamp, claiming that it crashes and burns, pulling information out of nowhere, upsetting hardcore Apple fans such as myself. I'm not much of a writer, in fact, I'm only 17 1/2 but I felt as if I had to respond and let him know that there are more intelligent people in this world and we have something to say. Below is a copy of the email I sent him. Let me know what you think and pass it all on to all your mac enthusiast friends...

Dear supposed UC Davis student,

Being an Apple fan myself, I tend to follow up on most news and rumors sites daily, if not more than once daily. Today I stumbled upon TUAW's post which linked me to your article on why you think BootCamp sucks. Let me first start out by telling you that I am a proud owner of a 17" iMac Intel, successfully enabled to dual boot between Windows XP Pro SP2 and mac os x tiger.
Let's get on with it, shall we?
Nowhere in your article did you ever state that you personally tested BootCamp, let alone a MacIntel. I have absolutely no reason to believe any word you have been pathetically granted to post in public web space. Firstly, I'd like to know where you pulled the information that "Macs operate at a lower CPU temperature than PCs," aside from your behind. Perhaps the thought that Apple engineers ensure that the computer does not overheat would make it quite obvious as to why they might operate at lower temperatures...wait, no, that makes too much sense.
Let me also inform you that BootCamp, is not, in any way, shape, or form, an emulator. No, suffice it to say, that BootCamp is in fact (1) an assistant which burns the necessary drivers for the Apple hardware to be recognized by Windows XP, (2) an assistant that will partition your current harddrive in the FAT32 format so as to enable Windows XP to be installed. Yes, that's quite right...we're not emulating the operating system, we're actually installing it on a separate partition, which means the user must boot up from that partition in order to use the operating system. Allow me to inform you that now that Apple has switched to Intel processors, there is absolutely no difference, aside from the default partition scheme on the Mac (Mac OS Extended), between a PC and a Mac. This means that when installing Windows, through the assistance of BootCamp, one is essentially running a Windows PC on a box with a little grey Apple on it.
"Second, why did you get a Mac? Because you don't possess savvy computer skills or you don't play games." - Actually, Mac OS X is built on the most stable and powerful subsystem ever created - UNIX - which renders Mac OS X just as - if not more - stable and powerful. Just because us Mac users don't enjoy screwing with the Registry and having to reformat our computers doesn't mean we're not computer savvy..it means we're smart. Smart people also don't buy computers to play games...they buy console systems like the Gamecube or the PS2 or the XBOX 360 (which runs on the PowerPC chip manufactured in every PowerMac G5 - yes, Microsoft used to buy G5s to build prototypes of their XBOX machines).
Installing BootCamp requires almost no knowledge at all except that of possessing the ability to read the English language. The assistant is so clear and tells you exactly what its doing at every given moment and what you will need to do once you finish your installation of Windows (which requires you to sit through the entire installation because it bugs you midway to create an account and specify how it will connect to the internet). It is true that Apple is lacking in their ability to provide the latest advancements in the graphics industry in the customization of their products, but as I said before, if you want graphics, you would be better off with a game console.
Next, Apple is not (as I said before) emulating the operating system of its enemy. In fact, it in no way endorses Windows nor sells it. They just provide the option to install it on their machines in order to switch over those last candidates who were still debating whether or not to buy a Mac and hope that now this will cast away any last doubts. I'd also like to commend you for your knowledge about how Windows was based off of the first Mac OS (actually..as I was reading your article that's what I expected you to write but instead you had it reversed). The only way Microsoft is able to alter its software so it will not be able to run on any new Intel Mac is if they discontinue Windows. Why? Because Intel manufactures the Pentium processor, the leading chip in the PC market..Microsoft would have to be out of their minds to disable Intel chips.
As far as software developers go, I'm afraid you have it backwards. BootCamp requires that the user have Mac OS X installed, which means OS X is still the default system. Now that Apple computers run the best of both worlds, OS X and Windows, and PC boxes can only run Windows, it would be in the developers' best interests to develop either for both platforms, or just for OS X.
"For reiteration, Macs cannot run Windows like PCs can." - You're absolutely right..they run Windows better. Benchmarking tests have shown that the Intel Macs "emulating" Windows outperformed Windows PCs. - Go to http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-04-10/ and scroll down to "Some benchmarks of a MBPro running WinXP"

Basically Venkat, I'm having my cake...I'm also eating it too. I got my mac for internet, productivity, graphics editing, video editing, web design, and even some enjoyable Mac games.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,
Yoav

For those that don't know, this "DivisionTwo" site is a satire site (found that out when I read the first article when the Mac mini was released). Check out the articles posted by others there. It's meant to poke fun at techies. :p

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Yep -- pure, obvious satire... you got pwn3d!!!!!111 ;)

n00b! You 4got 2 add da "onewon" at da nd!!!

TeH n00b!!!!!11!1!111oneonewonTaiwan ::ha::

Dagnabbit! I just realized I missed the perfect chance to use this one-liner of internet acronym beauty, I should have said:

YHBT HAND.

;)

Edit to add: Spitty, you have so gotta know that we are laughing with you and not at you.

meh...i guess i overlooked the fact that divisiontwo is a satirical site but what about that article on bootcamp? anyone feel like finding out if that's a real one? (besides, i didn't waste my energy on divisiontwo..i totally forgot to link to the bootcamp crashes and burns website...) go check it out and let me know

I don't know whether I am confused or other posters here are. The link Spitty provides takes you to a college campus website, which doesn't appear to be the spoof site you guys are talking about. Or did I miss something?

Admittedly his opinions are so ludicrously uninformed (Venkat's that is) that the article reads like a spoof. But I think he is genuinely stupid.

In any event its only a college site, so where's the problem? We were all young and foolish once. Well, i still am, actually!

in my first post i linked to a jorge lopez article on the mac mini (which really is a satire) but wrote about a different article (forgetting to link to it)...leading everyone else to assume/poke fun/laugh with me that i wrote this long email to someone who wrote the article as a joke.

to clarify things: i referenced jorge lopez because i said that venkat's article upset me almost as much as his did...the email i wrote was in response to the article venkat wrote (which seems to be a real article from someone who is genuinely stupid)

I didn't view the article as satire.

I saw it on the California Aggie website. This guy is a moron. The only thing correct in the article was that he spelled Mac and Boot Camp correctly.

Google the authors name and it will come up.

Yep, after I followed your later link I agree he is not a troll but rather is off his meds.

VENKAT PULLELA is senior majoring in philosophy and can be reached at vspullela@ucdavis.edu.

Take it with a grain of salt, folks. This is like taking medical advice from a slice of bread. Once I saw that it was an op-ed piece from an undergrad studying philosophy of all things, I stopped reading.

And I'm sure he got his information with the help of his Starware Toolbar. :rolleyes:

Well, what one's major is says nothing about their computer skills... I mean, you don't have to be a CS student or graphic designer to gain the right to have an opinion on Macs. However, this particular individual seems very uninformed. ;)

celeborn said:
Well, what one's major is says nothing about their computer skills... I mean, you don't have to be a CS student or graphic designer to gain the right to have an opinion on Macs. However, this particular individual seems very uninformed. ;)

While this is true, you have to still consider the source. I have read some stories from computer people that leave you wondering what they were smoking after you read it, but this particular person's area of expertise (supposedly anyway) obviously added an extra level for me to not even consider it as important enough for my time.

The poster makes some good points here, and at 17 I think he's way ahead of his time! Well done, whether what you were responding to was a hoax or not.

In the article the author mentions having problems plugging in a simple USB device like a webcam. I'm not 100% sure but don't all Intel Macs (minus the Mac Pro, which was not available at the time) have webcams built in? Isn't that a bit of a retarded thing to do?

Back