booting from CD Rom

zeddeh

Registered
I am trying to erase my one and only hard drive to start things fresh but when I try to boot from the install DVD ROM (I tried holding down the "c" key, 1st try, then the "C" key, 2nd try, then the Cmd/opt/shift/delete keys, 3rd try) but nothing happens. It just carries on to the login screen as per normal.

I was under the impression that this was the way it was done. It there something else I need to do to boot from my Tiger 10.4 dvd? I am using a G4 500mhz tower.

Thanks.

What version of OS X are you currently running? Have you successfully booted this DVD before? Is the Tiger DVD retail, or is it a model-specific, grey-colored DVD? This may sound dumb, but does your G4 have a DVD drive (the only reason I ask is that DVD-ROM was still catching on around the time of the G4 500MHz, and most machines shipped without them)?

Try pressing (and keep pressed) the <option> key during the boot up process, wait until the cursor (eventually) changes to an arrow, select the installation DVD's icon, and then click on the '-->' button.

'... that DVD-ROM was still catching on around the time of the G4 500MHz, and most machines shipped without them)', actually - since the PowerMac G4 (PCI Graphic), very few PM G4's came with CD-RW drives. The balance had DVD-RAM or DVD-ROM drives, or DVD burners.

I am running 10.4.2. I upgraded from 10.1 a few months ago using this same dvd. The Tiger dvd is retail. Yes, my G4 has a DVD burner in it, I upgraded the burning unit when the original CD Rom died.

I don't think I ever booted up from this DVD, I just upgraded from 10.1 to 10.4.

I tried booting from my original G4 Tower install disks (gray) but when I hold down the "c" key it still bypasses it and loads 10.4 as per normal.

I am perplexed.

I have a non-apple keyboard, could that be a factor?

Thanks for your help.

'I have a non-apple keyboard, could that be a factor?', eh - yes.

[
Added 04 Nov. 2005, at 08.46.

Clarification:

By ''non-apple keyboard', my frame of thought was of a non-Apple, non third party Apple style, keyboard. Such as one used on an Intel / Intel clone PC.
]

Back