Booting Irreg's Pm9600 And Ati 7000 Mac Ed

ohmelas

Registered
Every couple of times that I reboot my Mac, the Mac boots just fine. I hear it going through its processes and I know that the desk top comes up. However, the video card functions like its in sleep mode. WTF over?

Have you rebuilt the desktop files? Go to restart and hold down the option and the apple keys until you get the dialog box asking if you wish to rebuild the desktop. This will appear after the extensions load at the bottom of your screen. When the dialog box comes up, release the keys and click on okay.

ohmelas said:
Every couple of times that I reboot my Mac, the Mac boots just fine. I hear it going through its processes and I know that the desk top comes up. However, the video card functions like its in sleep mode. WTF over?

Have you ever replaced the battery? It's on the logic board somewhere, in a little bracket, it's about 1/2 length of a AA battery. If you have a meter, the battery shoulc be at least 3.2 volts (normal is about 3.6 volts)

Yep. It seems like the computer boots and the video card stays in sleep mode through the boot process. No signal going to the monitors at all and they stay asleep? Any other clues? Is this a known issue with ATI cards and SCSI?

ohmelas said:
Yep. It seems like the computer boots and the video card stays in sleep mode through the boot process. No signal going to the monitors at all and they stay asleep? Any other clues? Is this a known issue with ATI cards and SCSI?

Read my post directly above. Not an issue ATI and SCSI that I have seen. Have you tried the battery? A dead (or marginal if less than 3 volts) battery can prevent some parts of the power-up sequence (video, for example)

Do you have SCSI's attached and on? Turn them off or better yet, detach the SCSI cable from your computer, then start it up.

Also, make sure the monitor cable is in snug.

Have you tried starting with an OS CD or Utility CD?

Run Disk First Aide or the Disk Doctor.

I'm batting about 50% with this. However, it seems to me that maybe the Mac is scanning the memory. This appears to take a while--10-30 seconds--before actually turning the monitors on.

I can't narrow it down further. It's not the SCSI--since that's the boot drive. It's not the battery.

I appears to be going through another process. Anyone familiar with this process? I was looking in my Mac Bombs book and they talked about Macs checking their memory sometimes on startup before the Happy Mac appears and it goes through the rest of the boot sequence.

I'm guessing its performing one of those functions. When its doing what I would consider normal, the happy Mac comes on right away and the monitors come out of their sleep mode.

If I stop it while it appears to hang--what ever its doing--and turn it off and then reboot--it works fine with the happy mac and gray screen coming on immediately.

Hmm, what function is it doing on those odd times?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

When the machine boots normally, go to the Apple Menu>Control Panels>Memory & hold down the option key while you select memory.

the memory control panel will open with an additional section at the bottom. Uncheck the scan memory at start up. Close the window. This should stop the lag.

Back