broadband for OSX 10.3

fredp

Registered
I am wanting to set up broadband. Do I need to buy a special modem? Or does the ISP supply. Someone told me that the bog standard BT Voyager modem does not work well with the Mac OS. If this is the case what do I need to do?

Kevin 14.11

Usually the modems they issue with new broadband service work just fine under Mac OS X.

If at all possible, I would request a modem that connects via ethernet instead of USB, as USB modems can be kinda flaky under Mac OS X. Ethernet modems work just fine.

If the BT Voyager modem is a USB only model - you will be required to install driver software.

If you purchase your own ADSL modem, with an Ethernet port, no driver software is required.

My ISP supplied a Hermstedt USB modem. It was OK but a bit temperamental and the software updates were way behind the OSX updates.

I now have a D-Link 300 bought from the Apple Store in London. It's ethernet. It works. Only issue is with the Airport Extreme base station. It only works on the 5.5.1 Airport firmware. the 5.6 update breaks the link. If you have one computer, one modem and no wi-fi it will be OK out of the box.

Back