Broken Comp

bananaboi8715

Registered
My IBOOK laptop, which runs on operating system 10.2, broke after I used a paper towel with water to try to clean the space bar (which had ink on it.) Soon after removing the ink, the mouse froze and I was forced to restart my computer, however when I attempted to reboot it, the computer beeped a few times (which I had never before witnessed from the laptop) and the sleep button flickered on and off. I lifted the keyboard to see if there was water underneath it but I couldn't find any. I have some important information on the computer and I want to know the approximate time it will take to be fixed and the approiximate price if I send it to a computer repair center. I live in New York and the place near me that specializes in Macs is closed until Sept. 6th.

Yes, you may want to try resetting the PRAM. Do this to reset the PRAM:

1) restart (or turn on the computer)
2) immediately hold down all four of the following buttons: command - option - p - r
3) let the computer "chime" (the C note it makes when it starts up) two or three times (the computer will restart between each chime -- let it, and keep those keys held down!)
4) release the keys and see if the computer starts normally

Water and computers don't mix -- not even a damp paper towel is good. You may have applied enough pressure to the towel and spacebar that a drop or two of water got squeezed out and dripped down into the computer -- which is a very bad thing.

Do you have AppleCare, or is the computer still under warranty?

Also, did you leave the battery in the iBook while you were cleaning it? If there happened to be residual power stored in the logic board (I don't know how Apple motherboards work), something may have fried. Usually, if there's no power going to the parts, letting it dry thoroughly before using it should cause no problems. My old car had pop-up headlights... after washing it, until the water all dried, the headlights wouldn't go up. :D

btoth said:
...My old car had pop-up headlights... after washing it, until the water all dried, the headlights wouldn't go up. :D
Funny... That explains all of those old Corvettes, Porsche's, and Opels with one headlight stuck either up or down. ;)
vette_e_code.gif

Back