Broken Mac 10.4.11 won't load on 10.5.4 install DVD

Submerged

Registered
I have a Mac that runs 10.4.11. A week or two ago it was running really slowly, so I restarted and it would no longer load up. At first it went to the Darwin log-in screen. Long story short, it slowly got worse (though I tried all the normal safe mode / single user mode type solution). Finally, I decided enough was enough and just ordered a new OS X install disc (I lost my original 10.4.11 that came with the laptop a long time ago). I've backed up all the files I needed through a horrid experience with Target Direct Mode (went horribly slow and buggy). Anyhow, I am now ready to wipe the laptop clean and re-install with a fresh copy of 10.5.4.

Problem is, the finder and disk utility on the good computer freeze when I use target disk mode now (it's been deteriorating as well). I tried to boot from the install DVD (holding C), but the apple symbol still comes up and then leads to the dreaded "circle with the line through it" symbol.

Is there any sure-fire method of erasing the drive and re-installing the OS? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's 2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo. 160 GB hard drive, 2 Gig RAM. I have boot camp installed with Windows XP (which I can, ironically, still access just fine). Is that enough? I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for :)

P.s. If I leave it at the grey symbol long enough, it automatically ejects the DVD and loads the Windows XP boot camp. If that helps at all. Thanks!

That helps.

Did you order the correct Installation Disk? If you got one, say off eBay, that is specific to a computer or is an upgrade disk, then it probably will not work.

--J.D.

Oh, my bad, it's a Intel Core 2 CPU T7400 @ 2.16GHz.
994 Mhz, 1.96 GB of RAM.

That's according to the 'general' tab in the system properties off the control panel in the Windows XP partition.

I just put the DVD into a different Mac, the one I'm using to go online and all, and it works fine coming up with the install screen. I tried using it with the Windows XP on mine, just to see what happens, and it ejected it. The healthy Mac has 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM with OS X 10.5.5.

Huh . . . well your last post leaves me with only one stupid question: is the HD on the Mac you want to install "journaled?" I have had problems trying to boot and install on a non-journaled HD--my Ex-HD.

I do not see why your computer would not boot on the disk--unless there is something wrong with with the computer's DVD driver. I believe you mention you have tried "Target Disk Mode" from the computer that will boot on the disk to see if it can recognize the HD of your target Mac?

--J.D.

Hmmmm . . . I'm not sure what it means to be 'journaled' or how to go about checking that exactly. As for the DVD driver, I was playing DVDs from Netflix just fine around a day before it crashed. I suppose something could have happened between now and then though. I'll try to play a normal DVD on the Windows XP partition and see if it's functioning and get back to you :)

Thanks to an old copy of Outbreak (great movie), the DVD player is confirmed as functional. Unless there's a difference between a movie DVD and the Install DVD. I do hear it whirring several times before going to the grey screen like it's trying to read it and can't.

Well, I am kind of stumped. For some reason your computer is not recognizing the disk.

"Journaling" is a way of setting up your HD. Problem is you do not seem to be able to boot up on the disk.

--J.D.

Well, at least I have an interesting case :p Anyone else have any ideas? I'm open for pretty much anything.

EDIT: Random thought -- Since I have access to the Windows XP partition, could I run a Windows program from in there to wipe out the entire harddrive (Mac part as well?) I'm not sure how that would work with the whole Bootcamp setup.

(Second) EDIT: I have the Windows XP installer -- could I theoretically just install Windows XP as the sole (non-partition, non-Boot Camp) OS on the laptop and then just install Mac OS over that (just using Windows as a stepping stone for stability)?

Last edited:
If the original installation disk boots a machine newer than the machine you're using and it's not booting the one it came with, then it's not the disk it originally came with. Just my 2 cents.

Yes. If it _is_ in fact the retail version, it should. It doesn't, I hear.

'Twas my suspicion. One other thing you could confirm is whether or not a retail disk will work on a Mac that comes out after the release of the disk--by more than a few months. It is possible, then, that the disk will not be recognized by the computer.

Hence my previous suspicion about the source--eBay.

[Cue Inspirational Music--Ed.]

We all wish to save money. I have purchased software on eBay but only if it comes with the license. As I have pontificated in other threads, I saved considerable money buying the No-Longer Next Best Thing model sometimes slightly used.

Utterly completely legitimate dealers may not have the Installation Disks--previous owners get rid of them. Or the dealers just do not know how specific they are--bottom line is the buyer has to be aware of this and make sure they get a "bootable" disk with their computer.

My OS 10.3 and 10.4 I got CHEAP! From an actual Apple dealer from another state. Why? Because I bought 10.3 when 10.4 came out then 10.4 when 10.5 came out. The reason I bought them from an "Apple Authorized" dealer is that on the odd chance they did not work I could go back to them and demand a working disk . . . at the very least fire-bomb the store. They also came with their licenses. They were not the CHEAPEST versions available . . . but those might have been a DVD with "OSX" magic-markered on it! If they did not work . . . what do I do?

Caveat emptor.

The downside is you do not get "the Next Best Thing" with regards to OS; however, you do get the OS that had all of the bugs dealt with! And yes . . . you save money . . . a lot of money potentially. However, you have to wait and you have to research the dealer if on-line.

So, what does the OP do? If he does not have a licensed OS he is probably up Excrement Estuary with out a paddle--"Firth of Filth?" "Urinal songs urged the sailors on?" He can try getting his money back from the seller.

Otherwise, he needs a disk that boots his computer. His options are going to an Apple Store or Dealer and getting one or contacting dealers on-line and making sure they sell a licensed product that will boot his computer.

--J.D.

Hey guys -- called Mac again, got someone else who explained things better.

As of this point, I used a Windows XP Install disc to wipe the hard drive (both partitions of Boot Camp), so my Mac is completely devoid of an OS. The reason the 10.5.4 won't work is because my Macbook (purchased with a 10.4.9) is only able to install in a 10.4.x version, and then upgrade to 10.5.4. So I ordered the 10.4.9 discs from Apple ($30), and when it comes I should be okay to install it and than upgrade. Until then I'm stuck with Windows :) Thanks for the help though!

... The reason the 10.5.4 won't work is because my Macbook (purchased with a 10.4.9) is only able to install in a 10.4.x version, and then upgrade to 10.5.4. So I ordered the 10.4.9 discs from Apple ($30), and when it comes I should be okay to install it and than upgrade. ...
Your information source has given you some misinformation. Any retail copy of MacOS X 10.5 should be able to install the OS on your MacBook. However, the version of MacOS X 10.4.9 specific to your model Mac is the only version of MacOS X 10.4 that you can install. It must be installed from the System Restore disc that it specific to your model computer.

Let us hope that the $30 disc that you ordered is the proper System Restore disc.

But, apparently, he cannot install the retail copy of MacOS 10.5 given above? I mean, if it is only an "upgrade" disk, that I can understand, but he is indicating that it is a retail disk.

So . . . confusing. . . .

--J.D.

Back